Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How can I make a backup using K3b...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5

    How can I make a backup using K3b...

    I need to make a complete backup of both of my hard drives using the Knoppix cd burning program K3b. Windows XP Pro wont boot and I need to copy every file so that I can copy them to Windows after I reinstall it. I have configured K3b and both drives are mounting fine. They are labeled as hda1 and hdb1. I have the program open, all I need to know is how to copy everything on both hard drives so that windows will be able to recognize, and copy the files. I read the doc on it already and it cuts off before it explains this step.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    As it sounds like you need to use CDR as the backup medium I would recommend DAR - Disk ARchiver http://dar.linux.free.fr. DAR is similar to suing tar & gzip but it can actually split the archive into pieces of arbitrary size called slices. I have used DAR to backup an entire linux partition & split the resulting archive into 645MB slices & then I used k3b to burn them to CD. I then repartitioned the HD & used dar DAR to extract out the filesystem. In your case you would archive the filesystem & then not put it back in the same place as it would overwrite your new working syste. I don't know if is included in the debian/knoppix package mirrors. At the time I was using Gentoo & I had to download & compile DAR myself. Here http://gradha.sdf-eu.org/textos/dar-...i-howto.en.htm is a howto on using DAR.

    Good luck.
    James

Similar Threads

  1. Backup HDD to USB and Restore from USB to HDD
    By GCMartin in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM
  2. MBR backup
    By adamherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 06:32 AM
  3. Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD
    By monkymind in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 04:05 AM
  4. Backup Questions...
    By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 03:50 PM
  5. knoppix for backup
    By mohater in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 11:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99