-
Senior Member
registered user
As it sounds like you need to use CDR as the backup medium I would recommend DAR - Disk ARchiver http://dar.linux.free.fr. DAR is similar to suing tar & gzip but it can actually split the archive into pieces of arbitrary size called slices. I have used DAR to backup an entire linux partition & split the resulting archive into 645MB slices & then I used k3b to burn them to CD. I then repartitioned the HD & used dar DAR to extract out the filesystem. In your case you would archive the filesystem & then not put it back in the same place as it would overwrite your new working syste. I don't know if is included in the debian/knoppix package mirrors. At the time I was using Gentoo & I had to download & compile DAR myself. Here http://gradha.sdf-eu.org/textos/dar-...i-howto.en.htm is a howto on using DAR.
Good luck.
James
Similar Threads
-
By GCMartin in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM
-
By adamherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 06:32 AM
-
By monkymind in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 08-28-2004, 04:05 AM
-
By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-03-2004, 03:50 PM
-
By mohater in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Amdahl Computer Chip Lucite Paperweight Air Cooled Logic Chip
$89.00

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$325.99

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Vintage Compaq Contura 4/25c laptop trackball mouse Power Adapter parts Only
$139.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Compaq Contura 430cx Vintage Laptop 9.5" Intel 486DX2 50MHz Windows 95 Working
$150.00

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8
$34.95

Vintage HP DVD Writer dvd210i Internal IDE Drive Q2116A BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED
$58.85

Sealed Vintage Intel Pro/1000 Network Adapters Drivers CD Ver 3.1 Vintage PC NEW
$39.61