View Poll Results: I think that these programs should be added to Knoppix!
- Voters
- 40. You may not vote on this poll
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Hunkah
I have been noticing that FireFox is getting more and more popular everyday. There are reviews and people shouting its name on sites all over the place. IE has finally found a threat.
Mozilla itself has long been a threat to MSIE. The only prob is only the computer elite know of it :P
Only reason I found out about it and started using it is because of an artice in the news. I sure am glad I saw that article...
-
Actually, I think this is a different thing all together. FireFox and ThunderBird have something that Mozilla Suite didn't. A Nice GUI! I have been a long, long, long supporter of IE, mostly because of the ease of use and it didn't crash as much as Netscape. I was never so happy to get rid of another program than I was with Netscape. I loved killing it so much my right eye was twitching.
Now... FireFox! Nice, clean, easy to use, customizable! The best feature is "open all in tabs" when you catagorize the bookmarks. I had to use a seperate program with IE called IE Quickstart. But it is limited to only 5 folders of about twenty links in each. This is virtually unlimited in both!
I never thought of Mozilla as an IE threat because it was too much like netscape. We all know that netscape is dead. Many times it even seemed that Mozilla = Netscape. But this... FireFox seems to be the new kid at school that has all the cool toys... Everyone wants to be his friend!
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've been using Firefox/Thunderbird on W$ for probably 6 months now, and I love them. The ad blocking in Fireforx is really good, and there is an additional plugin that makes it even better. Plugins have been a bit of a pain in Firefox and its predecessors, so make sure that you accept default directories and registry patches as necessary (in W$). This may be why some of you had problems on some websites. With more recent versions, it doesn't seem so difficult to get Flash and and Shockwave to play nice. Also, I've fornd that some ad-intensive sites (e.g., mail.com, Wired magazine) apparently have the graphics for some of their navigation buttons originate from the same domains as their ads. The consequence, of course, is that if your ad blocker becomes too effective at blocking their revenue source, it becomes very difficult to navigate their sites (birdy dastards!!). Tough to get to your mail when the folder has been rendered invisible by your own ad blocker (unless you've memorized the location). Thunderbird is much better than Outlook or Outlook Express, but I haven't figured out how to have it alert me when I've received mail.
I strongly support the idea of substituting Firefox and Tbird for the normal Mozilla.
-
Thunderbird new mail notification
There is an extention to Thunderbird that puts an icon in the "system tray" (bottom right next to time) when new mail is received. I think this may be what you were looking for in regards to how to have the program notify you of new mail.
Cheers
-
Senior Member
registered user
Oh, gotta' have that!! Where is it??
Similar Threads
-
By maxIT in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-03-2005, 05:53 PM
-
By lotech in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-19-2005, 05:50 PM
-
By chada in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 02-02-2005, 08:52 AM
-
By Dreamofgilgamesh in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-03-2004, 05:12 PM
-
By Dreamofgilgamesh in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$12.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00