Update: With the vanilla 2.6.9 kernel installed, if I ping the laptop from another machine on the lan, I get the first packet back, then the laptop locks up.
I'm using Knoppix 3.6 (2.6.7 kernel) on my ancient NEC Ready 340T with a cheap GFE 10/100 FastEthernet lan card and all is well. However, using a self-compiled vanilla 2.6.9 kernel, the laptop hangs when I try to access the lan, and I need to eject the lan card to regain access to the system. At this point, if I re-insert the lan card, the system locks up again. What's the secret to getting this lan card to work properly with a new kernel?
TIA
Rockdoctor
Update: With the vanilla 2.6.9 kernel installed, if I ping the laptop from another machine on the lan, I get the first packet back, then the laptop locks up.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00
Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware
$89.99
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD
$199.95
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$199.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00