Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Dell Latitude CPi , but no sound

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1

    Dell Latitude CPi , but no sound



    Knoppix 3.3 works great except for there being no sound.

    My laptop is a Dell Latitude CPi D233ST w/ 128 megs of ram.

    The Audio Controller is a Crystal 4237B.

    When I try to use sndconfig I get an error message after choosing,

    Crystal CS423x sound chip.

    The error message is Segmentation fault

    I've tried the alsa cheatcode but it didn't help.

    Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Same problem here. However, I DO have a modules.conf from an old version of Knoppix (3.3 v6-6-3 as i recall) where sound worked. Not much help though. I manually updated modules.conf (after making the symlink on the CD a "real" file) with the desired configuration as follows:

    ### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/sndconfig
    alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
    post-install sound-slot-0 /usr/bin/aumix -f /etc/aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    pre-remove sound-slot-0 /usr/bin/aumix -f /etc/aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    options sound dmabuf=1
    alias synth0 opl3
    options opl3 io=0x388
    options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=1 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=5

    ### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/sndconfig

    But when I run update-modules I get the error "depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.27/modules.dep for writing"

    It appears that modules.dep is a real file on the read only file system (not a symlink) so I can't do a work around like I did with modules.conf.

    Sound would really be nice on this old beast. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

    ~pau1

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Also tried running from the insmod command (as root) using:

    insmod cs4232.o io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=1 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=5

    and receive the following error messages:

    cs4232.o: cs4232.o: unresolved symbol ad1848_detect
    cs4232.o: cs4232.o: unresolved symbol ad1848_init
    cs4232.o: cs4232.o: unresolved symbol probe_uart401
    cs4232.o: cs4232.o: unresolved symbol ad1848_control
    cs4232.o: cs4232.o: unresolved symbol ad1848_unload
    cs4232.o: cs4232.o: unresolved symbol unload_uart401
    cs4232.o: cs4232.o: unresolved symbol audio_devs
    cs4232.o: cs4232.o: unresolved symbol sound_unload_audiodev

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    ~pau1

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Fixed... almost...

    These commands load the appropriate drivers

    modprobe sound
    insmod ad1848
    insmod uart401
    insmod cs4232 io=220 irq=5 dma=1

    And things like sound from KsCD and MPlayer will work. However, KDE system sounds and XMMS do not work. KDE just "acts" like its playing the sound (with all kmix / aumix settings turned up) but no sound comes out. XMMS says that the sound card is not configured properly.

    I have tried starting knoppix in text only mode (knoppix 2), loading the drivers as root, and then starting KDE as knoppix. That did not work.

    I also tried starting the sound service in KDE, hitting control-alt-backspace to start KDE again, but no success.

    Any suggestions on how to get the sound working within KDE (and presumable XMMS)?

    Thanks in advance,

    ~pau1

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    okay, here's the fix... a LOT of trial and error. with knoppix 3.4 (5-17-4) and 3.6 (8-17) i just run these commands (as root)...

    modprobe sound
    insmod ad1848
    insmod uart401
    insmod cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1
    rm -rf /dev/dsp
    mknod /dev/dsp c 14 3
    chown knoppix.knoppix /dev/dsp

    all works well after this.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hey i have the same laptop and im tryin todo this with a HD install of Knoppix 3.6 (because is has ndiswrapper).... i cannot make your steps work it says the moudles arnt there and im abit of a newbie so could you explaim on how todo it? or what i have missed out ?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by pau1knopp
    okay, here's the fix... a LOT of trial and error. with knoppix 3.4 (5-17-4) and 3.6 (8-17) i just run these commands (as root)...

    modprobe sound
    insmod ad1848
    insmod uart401
    insmod cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1
    rm -rf /dev/dsp
    mknod /dev/dsp c 14 3
    chown knoppix.knoppix /dev/dsp

    all works well after this.
    Ok, I ran thu this on my fresh HD install, XMMS no longer gives me the error window, but stil will not play music. When I type:

    chown knoppix.knoppix /dev/dsp

    I get:

    chown: 'knoppix.knoppix' invalid user

    I assume this is because I ran it as a different user. So I typed:

    chown <valid username> /dev/dsp

    And now it looks to try and load, but XMMS will not play the song. It will load it without errors, but won't play anything. I can even scroll the position cursor and it wil display the current position within the song, but still won't play it. I'm using a Dell Latitude CPi D300XT, should be the same sound chip, no?

    Any thoughts?

  8. #8

    Sound is not working with Knoppix running off CD

    Hello, I have been living under a rock for the past 24 years and am completly new to Linux. I have been trying a series of Linux OS's to see what I would like to start with. Haven't found out yet but I really like how Knoppix runs right off the CD. Ngenious. As it seems I cannot get the sound working. If someone can assist me in getting the right driver for it, that would be great. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with a PCI aftermarket Sound Blaster Live, which I threw in to try and see if that would fix the problem. It didn't. Not too familiar with the command line as of yet. So please consider me a noob. I am a quick learner and if someone tells me once it is implanted into the sixth membrane and I will never forget.

    Cheers.

Similar Threads

  1. Dell Latitude D410 can not find CDROM
    By JimH00 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 05:22 PM
  2. knoppix 3.7 on dell latitude CPi D266
    By konik in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 12:23 AM
  3. PCI ilo PCMCIA NIC - WLAN Dell Latitude
    By anotherulrich in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 07:26 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 02:33 AM
  5. Dell Latitude screen scramble!
    By Phredd in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Micron 32GB (16GB x 2) PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz ECC RDIMM Memory (sku 0054) picture

Micron 32GB (16GB x 2) PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz ECC RDIMM Memory (sku 0054)

$199.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17 picture

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17

$3.35



Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory picture

Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory

$2150.00



SK Hynix DDR4 ECC 3200 memory in batches of 8. 128gb Used&Tested picture

SK Hynix DDR4 ECC 3200 memory in batches of 8. 128gb Used&Tested

$700.00



SERVER ECC MEMORY OWC3R2D42R464GB 128GB (2x64GB) 2Rx4 DDR4 3200 RAM picture

SERVER ECC MEMORY OWC3R2D42R464GB 128GB (2x64GB) 2Rx4 DDR4 3200 RAM

$860.00



NMA1XXD128GPS Intel Optane 1X128GB DDR4 PC4-21300 DCPMM Persistent Server Memory picture

NMA1XXD128GPS Intel Optane 1X128GB DDR4 PC4-21300 DCPMM Persistent Server Memory

$75.00



Kingston KF432S20IBK2/32 FURY Impact 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MT/s CL20 Laptop Memory picture

Kingston KF432S20IBK2/32 FURY Impact 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MT/s CL20 Laptop Memory

$79.00



6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US picture

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US

$3.95