Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix/Linux and printers

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    37

    Knoppix/Linux and printers

    Currently, I have a Dell Dimension 4500 (Intel 2GHz w/512K) attached to both an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 and an HP OfficeJet K60 via USB. Everything works under Winbloze XP.

    However, in Linux (Knoppix Live, not installed):

    Knoppix | Configure | Configure Printers | Add printer.... blah blah blah.

    Knoppix sees the printers and lists them by name and model but won't print to them through USB. (Though I didn't try "Raw" printing as I did below.

    Knoppix sees the printers and lists them by name and model but won't print to them through LPT1 *unless* I treat them as "Raw" printers (no driver needed). I don't need *much* more than an ASCII printer, but I do need *some* more than an ASCII printer.

    Where's the rub? Any other Dell people having this prob? I'm hoping it's the "complicated" printers. If so, what's a cheap jet type printer that works plug-and-pray with Knoppix/Linux. I only need it for desktop publishing: nice, crisp fonts. Color wouldn't suck but I won't be printing photos with this thing. Oh... USB would be nice assuming it isn't part of the problem.

    Suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Have a look at http://www.linuxprinting.org/
    They even have some suggestions.

Similar Threads

  1. Printers, USB and otherwise.
    By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 11:21 AM
  2. many printers broke in knoppix 3.4+?
    By drews in forum General Support
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 06:59 AM
  3. Installing printers
    By satyr409 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 09:32 PM
  4. To many printers
    By dave52355 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 03:05 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


G-Technology G-SPEED Shuttle XL 8-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID ENCLOSURE ONLY picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Shuttle XL 8-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID ENCLOSURE ONLY

$550.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$714.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



HighPoint RS6614V 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID Enclosure - Mint picture

HighPoint RS6614V 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID Enclosure - Mint

$349.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Promise Technology Pegasus2 R4 4Bay Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage Array 8TB G2U picture

Promise Technology Pegasus2 R4 4Bay Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage Array 8TB G2U

$169.99



1 Dell Ultra SSD M.2 NVMe PCI-Express x16 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 6N9RH picture

1 Dell Ultra SSD M.2 NVMe PCI-Express x16 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 6N9RH

$59.99