download latest knoppix (05/09/03 - contains kernel 2.4.22) and use gqcam (K=>Multimedia=>Graphic) to view usb webcam.
Easy as 1,2,3 .
greetzzzz,
Hi,
Does Knoppix (kernel 2.4.19-xfs) suport Philips PCVC720K/40 webcam? I've just bought one and plugged it in and since there was no pcw module in my Debian ( 2.4.18 ) I've tried to boot the machine with Knoppix to see if it works. Then in the root shell I've installed pwc and videolinux modules (usb modules were already loaded).
Then I checked /dev/video and created a symbolic link to is using the name: /dev/video0 using the command: ln -sf /dev/video0 /dev/video
Then I tried to run xawt by simply issuing its name and also using this command: xawtv -c /dev/video0
Both failed complaining that there is no such device /dev/video0
I also tried it with /dev/video but I've got the same error message.
What can be the problem? How can I troubleshoot or diagnose it? Can my webcam be problematic or what?
Hope somebody can enlighten me![]()
download latest knoppix (05/09/03 - contains kernel 2.4.22) and use gqcam (K=>Multimedia=>Graphic) to view usb webcam.
Easy as 1,2,3 .
greetzzzz,
Thanks for your reply. I decided to buy a higher model of Philips, namely PCVC 730K because it is supported by pwc since version 8.0 and since kernel version 2.4.6
I believe this model is going to run with my current KNOPPIX version (3.1).
Hi,
I've tried pwc module with 3.2 (2003/06/06), and 3.2 (05/06/2003) without succes...Originally Posted by ktheking
I've tried this on two different machine (chipset sis and via):
I've also error message in dmesg:
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed dev 5 rqt 128 rq 6 len 490 ret -110
The mic is recognised as audio (usbaudio) but can't get /dev/audio...
I've also tried to load pwc module and videodev without result
Thanks !
let me guess..
you're working an VIA chipset ?
Try your camera for a change on another chipset (or an usb controller card).
I think having both audio in and video from webcam won't work simultaniously.
For more info about usb devices check out http://www.linux-usb.org/
Maybe you stumble on site dedicated to this camera.
First check out on which chip the camera is based. Maybe you'll find a solution easier then searching on philips.
Hi,
Thanks for your response but:
You needn't guessing I've wrote it...let me guess..
you're working an VIA chipset ?
- I know that via chipset cause sometimes some problems that's why I've tried it on another machine which has an sis chipset (cf my previous post)
- I'm not looking for philips on the web ! thanks, but I know that my camera is a pcvc720k/40 and that the module for it is pwc --> and i know that because I found it on the web site (http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/)
The camera has a mic... you've sometimes sound vith videoI think having both audio in and video from webcam won't work simultaniously.Don't you ?
Can I ask you why you've wroted: "download latest knoppix (05/09/03 - contains kernel 2.4.22) and use gqcam (K=>Multimedia=>Graphic) to view usb webcam.
Easy as 1,2,3 . " ?![]()
Yeah the latest knoppix contains kernel above 2.4.22 which handles usb a lot (even much much better) usb then before.
So for usb issues it wouldn't hurt to use the latest kernel....
And for the tip about gqcam : I've encountered people before who had troubles with xawtv but when using gqcam they could use the webcam.
Search the knoppix site on 'gqcam' and 'webcam' . I think you will encounter similarities... .
I would thanks you for your help![]()
At this time I've tried lot of thing in order to make this damned webcam works ...
Several kernel (2.4.20,2.4.21,2.4.22,2.4.24,2.6.0,2.6.1,2.6.2) ...
No matter it's blind![]()
I think Philips should be write on Manufacturer's black list, developers lost too much time to find hardware caracteristics that manufacturers like Philips (ant too much others) hide.
I'm a GNU/Linux consumer and I'll never buy any other products from this firm so far It will be more cooperative...
As far as I am consirned, I stopped buying (and selling) philips a long time ago. Philips went a long time ago from engeering to selling (putting labels on products that you don't manufacter) . (An old school teacher of mine was an ex-development-engineer at Philips, I got the full inside info about it from him).
I got 4 creative webcams pro (based on OV511 chipset) ,which works flawless.

Dell 3KDWX PERC H755 12Gb/s SAS 8GB RAID Controller
$950.00
Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00