Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Newbie Question: How to boot from CD, and still access HD?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5

    Newbie Question: How to boot from CD, and still access HD?

    I have an old 486 computer that I have no use for, until I found Knoppix. I'd like to be able to still boot from the Knoppix CD, since I've heard that doing an HD Install really only makes it Debian. However, I'd still like to be able to save everything, preferences, email, etc. to the hard drive on the computer? Is that what the Home Persistant is? Or how would I do it?

    Thanks in advance.

    Edit: Also I've heard a lot about "remastering" the CD. What does this accomplish? And what can I do with it? Does it let me add programs to Knoppix? If not, how do I do that?

    Once again, thanks for helping a Linux newbie, though if I can get these questions answered, I'm never going back to windows, save for some games and maybe photoshop.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I can't imagine that you'll be able to do much with a 486, but others feel free to speak up and prove me wrong. If you wan't to make the machine useful, you could use something like
    Coyote Linux to turn it into a firewall/router.

    Re. remastering, yes remastering lets you add/remove programs to knoppix and basically do whatever you want with it. Check out the howto in the docs section for info on how to do this.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5
    I don't need to do much with the machine, and I know it runs Knoppix, as I just booted off the CD. What I want to know is can I make a partition on my HD that Knoppix can access and save everything to, and how big the partition needs to be.

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie question
    By Fred666 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 03:43 AM
  2. Newbie Q: ms-win access to persisent_home file?
    By stephen_w_simpson in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 03:36 PM
  3. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  4. Floppy/Cd-rom access newbie question
    By Callick in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 09:00 AM
  5. Newbie question...
    By JMichael in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Intel Core i7-10700K 8-Core 3.80GHz LGA1200 CPU SRH72 i7-10700K picture

Intel Core i7-10700K 8-Core 3.80GHz LGA1200 CPU SRH72 i7-10700K

$75.00



Lenovo ThinkSmart Hub 500 10V50000US All-in-One i5 8GB 128GB Win10 NEW SEALED picture

Lenovo ThinkSmart Hub 500 10V50000US All-in-One i5 8GB 128GB Win10 NEW SEALED

$259.00



Gaming PC Desktop Computer 12-Core RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 32GB picture

Gaming PC Desktop Computer 12-Core RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 32GB

$600.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8 Core 16 Thread 4.7GHz AM5 Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8 Core 16 Thread 4.7GHz AM5 Processor

$369.99



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



MacBook Air 13

MacBook Air 13" Apple M1 8-core - 8-core GPU • 512 GB • RAM 8GB Very Good Cond

$450.00



Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5GHz 8-Core 16-Thread LGA1200 Desktop CPU Processor(3536) picture

Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5GHz 8-Core 16-Thread LGA1200 Desktop CPU Processor(3536)

$249.99



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



Lot 5 HP Prodesk 400 G1 PC Mini Intel i5-4590T 2GHz 4GB DDR3 NO HDD NO OS picture

Lot 5 HP Prodesk 400 G1 PC Mini Intel i5-4590T 2GHz 4GB DDR3 NO HDD NO OS

$275.00