Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: I#ve downloaded knoppix but cant boot from cd-have read all

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4

    I#ve downloaded knoppix but cant boot from cd-have read all

    Hi all, this is my first post here, I hope you can help.
    I have just downloaded for the second time from two different sources KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN. I have burnt images before but something is not right with this one.

    The downloaded file is a single rar, when I extract it to a folder I see 3 folders, DEMO, KNOPPIX, TALKS. I also see autorun.bat, autorun.inf, cdicon, index.html. Within the KNOPPIX folder is a file called KNOPPIX which is about 700mb, but is not an iso and is not recognised by nero or alcohol 120% as a image.

    Can anyone help please.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Villanova, PA
    Posts
    28
    It sounds like you found a copy that was compressed with RAR instead of filed as an ISO image. If you burn all the files in the .rar file to the CD with all the directories and subdirectories intact, it should work. Or if you can spare the bandwidth to try again, try getting Knoppix from one of the mirrors linked to from the "Get Knoppix' button on this site. They're .iso images.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4
    Thanks, I will try that, although this is my second time downloading it, first from a bittorent site, and second from this site, but I will try it again thanks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7

    Re: I#ve downloaded knoppix but cant boot from cd-have read

    Quote Originally Posted by ikoni
    Hi all, this is my first post here, I hope you can help.
    I have just downloaded for the second time from two different sources KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN. I have burnt images before but something is not right with this one.

    The downloaded file is a single rar, when I extract it to a folder I see 3 folders, DEMO, KNOPPIX, TALKS. I also see autorun.bat, autorun.inf, cdicon, index.html. Within the KNOPPIX folder is a file called KNOPPIX which is about 700mb, but is not an iso and is not recognised by nero or alcohol 120% as a image.

    Can anyone help please.

    Thanks
    I think what happend is windows tried to save the image file to something it may reconize, try downloading it again, but when you get to the save as window, there should be something similar to "save as type" at the bottom of the, it will say "WinRaR Archive" or "Compressed Archive", click the arrow and click ALL FILES, this way it will save as a .iso file and you can burn and boot from the CD Hope this helps

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4
    Well this is the fourth time I have downloaded knoppix and I still cannot see the iso file, where in the hell is it Normally people have trouble with the use of Linux but this is silly .

    Could someone please tell me which is the file to burn and where it is?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Go to the 'Get Knoppix' link at the top of the page.

    Choose a mirror and get this:

    KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso

    If it doesn't end in .iso then you have the wrong one. Also get:

    KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso.md5

    Oh and I don't think this is in any way related to difficulties using Linux.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4
    Well, I am writing this reply using knoppix konqeror....
    Wehey, thanks for all the help with finding the iso, it was actually the rar file, weird.

    Thanks alot

Similar Threads

  1. Downloaded and made my own boot disk but did i do it right?
    By delricardo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 01:08 AM
  2. grub boot loader read the boot file from a windows partition
    By cli168 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 03:21 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 09:13 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00