-
Junior Member
registered user
INTERNET HOW TO?
Ok, I am a Knoppix n00b, I have run the disk and got to the desktop, how do i connect to the internet, I am useing SBC DSL as my provider, and I am useing a speedstream modem? Help would be appreciated.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Is the modem connected with ethernet cables or USb? if its ethernet then you can just use DCHP to connect. If its USB that could be a little more complicated as you would need drivers for the modem which if its a new modem knoppix proaby won't support. Then try starting up konqueror and If I'm not mistaken it should ask for username and password is applicatable.
As for Metroid Prime, Great game.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Yea, its hooked up to ehternet, ill try that thanks.
and yes prime pwns
-
Junior Member
registered user
ok, as i stated before, im a linux noob, very different from windows, but anyways, what is DCHP, how do i use it.. and so on, as i also stated before, i am useing sbc yahoo; with a speedstreat ethernet modem... thanks again for the help (hopefully)
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: INTERNET HOW TO?

Originally Posted by
metroidprime13
Ok, I am a Knoppix n00b, I have run the disk and got to the desktop, how do i connect to the internet, I am useing SBC DSL as my provider, and I am useing a speedstream modem? Help would be appreciated.

If it is Ethernet:
Go to "K" Program button and then --->
"Internet" / "Connect" / "ADSL-PPPoE Config"
And follow the prompts...
Pretty much you just answer yes. I have the same setup as you and I am typing this on Konquerer right now!
Good Luck...(Shouldn't need it..its easy...!)
-Brady
-
Junior Member
registered user
ok, i can get through this... then it says the connecting has been triggered an this box disappears.. so i try to use knoqueror and it says something about this page is not avilable, so i am assuming i havent connected right. so how do i fix this?
-
Junior Member
registered user
also, when i enter my sign in name during the setup, do i need to ender the whole @soandso.com or does it know what my isp is?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
metroidprime13
also, when i enter my sign in name during the setup, do i need to ender the whole @soandso.com or does it know what my isp is?
IYou need to enter the whole string, with ISP, like [email protected]. It's easy, and it works great!
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
metroidprime13
also, when i enter my sign in name during the setup, do i need to ender the whole @soandso.com or does it know what my isp is?
Yeah,
Metroid, like the post before says:
username:
(username)@sbcglobal.net
password:
(yourpasswd)
Answer (CLICK) "YES" to all questions.
And then it will do what you said (say it is triggered) and you should be connecting fine. I have exactly the same dsl setup same modem/provider so I know this works. You can go to sbc and get your list of News servers and smtp/pop addresses too, and get everything working cool.
Your DNS will download automatically by answering YES to /etc/resolv.conf question. Like I said answer YES to all questions!
I think your problem before was you put just your username in w/o the @sbcglobal.net. This will not allow you to logon to SBCYahoo Concentrator. And of course you needed to answer YES to all those questions 
Brady
-
Junior Member
registered user
yea, i do all this, but then it when i open knoqueror it comes up to the main page, and does when i try to go to a site eg. hotmail it says this page is not avalible, i also tryed this with google and other things.
Similar Threads
-
By jtrain9 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-09-2005, 05:12 AM
-
By Kung in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 01:03 AM
-
By Buick350X in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 05:18 AM
-
By jonathan184th in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-06-2004, 01:19 PM
-
By oomzoo in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-24-2003, 08:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage
$69.99

Vintage DEC LR150-11 Power Supply 70-0464-01 Rev S Sun Shoebox Server PSU Used
$160.00

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips
$95.00

DEC Vintage Pulse-to-Step Converter Driver Interface Card for DEC Systems
$50.00

DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)
$100.00

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)
$149.99