Hello all-
I'm running KDE 3.1.5 on a fresh Knoppix/Sid install on a pretty regular
setup...
...and I've been having a rather odd problem. I've set up my panel to
display icons for programs I use often (eg Firefox and Thunderbird). Most of my
panel icons work fine: rhythmbox, bluefish, vlc, etc. Thunderbird and Firefox,
however, keep doing "weird things." To set the icons up, I ran the KMenu
Editor, added an entry for, eg, Firefox with a link to the executable script the
installer places in a parent "Firefox" directory. When I click on "Properties"
in the panel icon's right-click context menu, it shows that I'm executing
the following command:
This works just fine: I click the icon, surf a bit, and then close myCode:./'/home/toto/progs/firefox/firefox'
browser. And here's the weird bit. If I try to start the browser again by clicking
the icon, I get the following error message:
What's odd is that I haven't changed anything: the path is still correct,Code:KDEInit could not launch './'/home/toto/progs/firefox/firefox'': Could not find './'/home/toto/progs/firefox/firefox'' executable.
the script is still executable, no permissions have been altered, etc. If I go
back through the icon's context menu, click "Properties," and re-input the
command (only by browsing to the script, however: manually typing it in has no
effect), clicking on the icon (it fails), adding the "./" at the beginning of the path to the script, and then clicking the icon...the thing works again! WTF? I'm a bit confused here...I can
replicate this error quite consistently, and always with the same weird solution. I
googled for '"KDEInit could not launch"' and '"KDEInit could not launch"
"Could not find" executable' to no avail -- other people have similar problems,
but for pretty different reasons (ie they upgraded and then downgraded their
KDE debs from different sources, etc) and none seem to have the "easy 'n odd"
solution I do.
Any ideas?
Thanks much
toto

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points - Tested & Working (AP Only)
$89.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig
$775.00
Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00
Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch
$69.99
CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188
$24.94
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco ASR 901 Series A901-12C-FT-D Aggregation Services Router 800-40055-01
$122.40