Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix/Linux and printers

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    37

    Knoppix/Linux and printers

    Currently, I have a Dell Dimension 4500 (Intel 2GHz w/512K) attached to both an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 and an HP OfficeJet K60 via USB. Everything works under Winbloze XP.

    However, in Linux (Knoppix Live, not installed):

    Knoppix | Configure | Configure Printers | Add printer.... blah blah blah.

    Knoppix sees the printers and lists them by name and model but won't print to them through USB. (Though I didn't try "Raw" printing as I did below.

    Knoppix sees the printers and lists them by name and model but won't print to them through LPT1 *unless* I treat them as "Raw" printers (no driver needed). I don't need *much* more than an ASCII printer, but I do need *some* more than an ASCII printer.

    Where's the rub? Any other Dell people having this prob? I'm hoping it's the "complicated" printers. If so, what's a cheap jet type printer that works plug-and-pray with Knoppix/Linux. I only need it for desktop publishing: nice, crisp fonts. Color wouldn't suck but I won't be printing photos with this thing. Oh... USB would be nice assuming it isn't part of the problem.

    Suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Have a look at http://www.linuxprinting.org/
    They even have some suggestions.

Similar Threads

  1. Printers, USB and otherwise.
    By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 11:21 AM
  2. many printers broke in knoppix 3.4+?
    By drews in forum General Support
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 06:59 AM
  3. Installing printers
    By satyr409 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 09:32 PM
  4. To many printers
    By dave52355 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 03:05 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Version COMPLETE 3.5

Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Version COMPLETE 3.5" Floppy Box Set 18 Disks

$114.99



Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo picture

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo

$299.00



Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition picture

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition

$199.99



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Vintage PSS Ram 65 Memory Board MM2114N-L 32 Socketed picture

Vintage PSS Ram 65 Memory Board MM2114N-L 32 Socketed

$245.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Intel DX4 100MHz 486 Motherboard SBC CPU Board ALi Chipset Retro PC picture

Vintage Intel DX4 100MHz 486 Motherboard SBC CPU Board ALi Chipset Retro PC

$119.99



Vintage Intel 486 Motherboard Socket3-i486 DX2-66 CPU & Maxed L2 Cache(W24257AK) picture

Vintage Intel 486 Motherboard Socket3-i486 DX2-66 CPU & Maxed L2 Cache(W24257AK)

$124.99



Vintage Sun Microsystems Type 5 Keyboard N860-8701-T010 Tested Working picture

Vintage Sun Microsystems Type 5 Keyboard N860-8701-T010 Tested Working

$55.55



Vintage KanguruDisk Portable External Drive Module with Pouch - Rare Retro Drive picture

Vintage KanguruDisk Portable External Drive Module with Pouch - Rare Retro Drive

$114.88