Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Slow Sound Playback xmms

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    12

    Slow Sound Playback xmms

    I am getting way slow playback from xmms. Don't know why this is happening. I am running on an old:

    Acer Aspire 2862 PII - 300Mhz.
    256 MB Ram
    And some weird on board sound system. I think it is a crystal sound system or something.

    Everything I have looked at seems to be running at speed and fine.
    I haven't run Linux in ages (Well since like '97) and it's all slow coming back to me. I decided to run it again since I will be getting a new system soon, and noticed Knoppix seemed to be a nice Live system.
    (Which is it!)
    Anyway....

    I have the follow list in mods:

    Module Size Used by Not tainted
    ppp_deflate 2936 0 (autoclean)
    zlib_deflate 17336 0 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
    bsd_comp 3992 0 (autoclean)
    ppp_async 7264 1 (autoclean)
    ppp_generic 22816 3 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
    slhc 4624 0 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
    ext3 64164 0 (autoclean)
    jbd 46356 0 (autoclean) [ext3]
    autofs4 8756 1 (autoclean)
    af_packet 13512 2 (autoclean)
    nls_iso8859-1 2876 0 (autoclean)
    nls_cp437 4380 0 (autoclean)
    agpgart 42628 0 (unused)
    cs4232 3652 0
    ad1848 20812 0 [cs4232]
    uart401 6052 0 [cs4232]
    sound 55276 0 [cs4232 ad1848 uart401]
    soundcore 3428 4 [sound]
    8139too 12776 1
    mii 2256 0 [8139too]
    crc32 2832 0 [8139too]
    serial 51972 0 (autoclean)
    usb-uhci 21868 0 (unused)
    usbcore 57824 1 [usb-uhci]
    apm 9768 2
    rtc 6972 0 (autoclean)
    cloop 8740 2
    ...

    cs4232 is obviously the sound device.

    When I run xmms is goes i would say at at least 1/2 speed. (These are MP3's I have been playing around with.) I haven't tried any other formats yet. I thought maybe someone had experienced this before and has a quick fix?? Anyway if anyone can help or needs more info from me to fix this problem, let me know! Thanks!


    -Brady

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I don't know what's happening. Could be the driver, could be the mp3s.

    Can you try

    knoppix alsa

    at the boot:

    prompt and see what happens?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    I don't know what's happening. Could be the driver, could be the mp3s.

    Can you try

    knoppix alsa

    at the boot:

    prompt and see what happens?

    Well,
    I tried 'alsa' now i am getting errors that the sound system isn't found.

    ('device /dev/dsp can't be opened') ...and the like....

    Hmm, any other ideas?

    One other question...
    How do you save your dsl-provider file and pon as a config (so as to open internet access automatically while still maintaining the 'live' system eg:no HD install)
    I guess since it isn't saving mine-I ran pppoe config and get on internet fine, but it doesnt save it when I save 'KNOPPIX config' --
    Would I have to make a shell script? And where/how would I save that? On desktop? hmmm
    Any tips?

    Thanks much!

    Brady

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    12

    Sound working now.


    Well, I figured something out for once. I had a USB cam plugged in. (This was plugged in right before the sound quit working. When I unplugged it, everything worked fine! The strange part is, the sound is at normal speed <u>now</u>, but before when it was working, but was slow, the camera <u>wasn't</u> plugged in either. It is a logitec quick-cam. But I am not going to worry about it. If it works it works. But it is strange nonetheless. . .Kinda reminds me of smacking something till it works (or breaks worse).

    Hopefully, if nothing else this thread will help someone else in the future unplug their usb-if nothing else seems to work!! heh

    Oh well...


    -B

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I wonder if this is a minor league interrupt issue? Can you go into the bios and select "non Plug and Play OS" (doesn't appear to have any adverse effects on Windows)?

Similar Threads

  1. xine slow playback plz help!
    By polo13ca in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 02:05 AM
  2. Sound Advice needed - XMMS and GAIM
    By rusty in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 05:25 AM
  3. xmms and other sound apps dont work
    By Kreator in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:45 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 05:04 PM
  5. XMMS - problems playing web sound clips
    By Lando in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.66