I don't know what's happening. Could be the driver, could be the mp3s.
Can you try
knoppix alsa
at the boot:
prompt and see what happens?
I am getting way slow playback from xmms. Don't know why this is happening. I am running on an old:
Acer Aspire 2862 PII - 300Mhz.
256 MB Ram
And some weird on board sound system. I think it is a crystal sound system or something.
Everything I have looked at seems to be running at speed and fine.
I haven't run Linux in ages (Well since like '97) and it's all slow coming back to me. I decided to run it again since I will be getting a new system soon, and noticed Knoppix seemed to be a nice Live system.
(Which is it!)
Anyway....
I have the follow list in mods:
Module Size Used by Not tainted
ppp_deflate 2936 0 (autoclean)
zlib_deflate 17336 0 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
bsd_comp 3992 0 (autoclean)
ppp_async 7264 1 (autoclean)
ppp_generic 22816 3 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
slhc 4624 0 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
ext3 64164 0 (autoclean)
jbd 46356 0 (autoclean) [ext3]
autofs4 8756 1 (autoclean)
af_packet 13512 2 (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1 2876 0 (autoclean)
nls_cp437 4380 0 (autoclean)
agpgart 42628 0 (unused)
cs4232 3652 0
ad1848 20812 0 [cs4232]
uart401 6052 0 [cs4232]
sound 55276 0 [cs4232 ad1848 uart401]
soundcore 3428 4 [sound]
8139too 12776 1
mii 2256 0 [8139too]
crc32 2832 0 [8139too]
serial 51972 0 (autoclean)
usb-uhci 21868 0 (unused)
usbcore 57824 1 [usb-uhci]
apm 9768 2
rtc 6972 0 (autoclean)
cloop 8740 2
...
cs4232 is obviously the sound device.
When I run xmms is goes i would say at at least 1/2 speed. (These are MP3's I have been playing around with.) I haven't tried any other formats yet. I thought maybe someone had experienced this before and has a quick fix?? Anyway if anyone can help or needs more info from me to fix this problem, let me know! Thanks!
-Brady
I don't know what's happening. Could be the driver, could be the mp3s.
Can you try
knoppix alsa
at the boot:
prompt and see what happens?
Originally Posted by fingers99
Well,
I tried 'alsa' now i am getting errors that the sound system isn't found.
('device /dev/dsp can't be opened') ...and the like....
Hmm, any other ideas?
One other question...
How do you save your dsl-provider file and pon as a config (so as to open internet access automatically while still maintaining the 'live' system eg:no HD install)
I guess since it isn't saving mine-I ran pppoe config and get on internet fine, but it doesnt save it when I save 'KNOPPIX config' --
Would I have to make a shell script? And where/how would I save that? On desktop? hmmm
Any tips?
Thanks much!
Brady
![]()
Well, I figured something out for once. I had a USB cam plugged in. (This was plugged in right before the sound quit working. When I unplugged it, everything worked fine! The strange part is, the sound is at normal speed <u>now</u>, but before when it was working, but was slow, the camera <u>wasn't</u> plugged in either. It is a logitec quick-cam. But I am not going to worry about it. If it works it works. But it is strange nonetheless. . .Kinda reminds me of smacking something till it works (or breaks worse).
Hopefully, if nothing else this thread will help someone else in the future unplug their usb-if nothing else seems to work!! heh
Oh well...
-B
I wonder if this is a minor league interrupt issue? Can you go into the bios and select "non Plug and Play OS" (doesn't appear to have any adverse effects on Windows)?

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
Apple Macbook Pro 13" M2 8-Core 16GB 512GB SCREEN ISSUE
$774.99
Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$177.21
Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...
$599.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99
Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)
$189.99
AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD 4.2 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Boost) AM5 UNLOCKED
$300.00
Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro
$339.00
Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 8GB 256GB BATTERY ISSUE
$454.99