Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: cann't start kde as user

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    46

    cann't start kde as user

    Hi all, I had some problem with my windowmanagers(installed wdm but that totaly locked my keyboard, unstalled it and installed gdm )
    Now I cannot start kde as user. I can start it (kde) as root and everthing works fine.
    It has probably nothing to do with X-server cause I can start icewm,fluxbox,xfce... as user.
    When I try to start kde as user , the kde startup logo comes up but when "
    inithilasing perhipicals" it stops and I get a kde-crash window that say something about: ksmserver signal :11 (SIGSEGV)
    Anybody any ideas how to fix this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Try re-creating the user (as root, in kde) using Kuser (Kmenu > System > Kuser).

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    46
    I created a new user with Kuser , and I could login to kde as that user just fine.
    Now I made backup of my home dir and re-created my account with Kuser(first deledted it and than created it with same name and password)
    But still same problem, cann't log in to kde as user (=only my useraccount)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    OK, it looks like you've an issue with one of the .directories or .files which tells the WMs what to do (can't remember which one!). I'd be inclined to copy all the files except the hidden ones from your problem user's home directory to somewhere safe, blitz your problem user's home directory and re-create with Kuser. Then copy the files over. You may need to mess with the permissions (of these copied over directories) as root.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    log into the user account in a console (or other wm and open an X terminal program)
    and do an:

    ls -alR .kde | less

    look carefully at the username and group name. If you see that there are some files with messed up username or group name then do this:

    cd .kde

    then:

    su

    and give the root password, then;

    chown -R user.group *

    in the above chown command substitute your username for user and your group for group.

    If that doesn't fix your problem then rename your home .kde directory to .kde-old and restart kde and it will make a new .kde directory for you.

    HTH
    ~rock

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    46
    I loged into my useraccount under Xfce4 and did : ls -alR .kde | less
    It looked ok, all owner and group where "jack" which is my user account only
    I few entrys had "501" for owner.
    Then as root: chown -R jack.jack * (first cd /home/jack/.kde ofcourse)
    But problem is stil there , cant login to kde as user jack.
    Then renamed .kde to .kde-old , but still no fix.
    I'm afraid I've to delete my home dir and create new one.
    What's the best way to save my settings?

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    46
    finger 99 wrote

    OK, it looks like you've an issue with one of the .directories or .files which tells the WMs what to do (can't remember which one!). I'd be inclined to copy all the files except the hidden ones from your problem user's home directory to somewhere safe, blitz your problem user's home directory and re-create with Kuser. Then copy the files over. You may need to mess with the permissions (of these copied over directories) as root.

    I tried this but I don't wanna loose all the hidden files from my home dir.
    ( just try copy them back one by one to see where the problem is)
    I did - chown -R jack.jack * - in my home dir after I copied back most files and
    dir of my old home dir. This set ownership of al files and dir s right ,but not of
    the hidden files, I there a linux-command to chown al hidden files and hidden-subdirectories of a dir all at ones?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I did - chown -R jack.jack * - in my home dir
    for dot (hidden) files

    chown -R jack.jack *.*

    ~rock

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    46
    I recreated my useraccount and copied all the files and dir I needed and weren't corrupted from my backup, set all permissions right and all works well
    again.

    THANKS FOR THE HELP

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 02:29 AM
  2. Why cann't I boot from CD?
    By windinrain in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 02:49 PM
  3. KDE cannot start new sessions for any user but root
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 07:40 AM
  4. cann't read cloop device error
    By arashb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 10:29 AM
  5. i cann't access my fat32 and ntfs partitions from knoppix
    By Pex_boa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 08:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16) picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)

$64.99



SK Hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2400T (HMA81GU6AFR8N-UH) DDR4 Desktop ram picture

SK Hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2400T (HMA81GU6AFR8N-UH) DDR4 Desktop ram

$25.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc. picture

[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.

$299.99



Micron 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-3200 1Rx8 Desktop RAM MTA8ATF1G64AZ-3G2J1 picture

Micron 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-3200 1Rx8 Desktop RAM MTA8ATF1G64AZ-3G2J1

$99.95



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 DIMM RGB XMP picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 DIMM RGB XMP

$150.00