Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Really Newbie Question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Sunny S. Florida
    Posts
    4

    Really Newbie Question

    Hi

    I've downloaded Knoppix, (3 times) Burned a bunch of CD's (Roxio) tried several different settings and can't get Knoppix to boot.

    Roxio has a setting to burn a bootable CD but there are 4 options, no emulation, Hard Disk emulation, 1.44 floppy emulation, 2.88 floppy emulation. I've tried both none and hard disk emulation. Didn't seem like either of the floppy emulations was correct.

    There are settings for sector count (default is 1) and Load Segment (default is 0x7c0) Do either of these things need to be specified?

    If the image is downloaded right and burned properly. What files will be visible when you look at the cd in windows explorer? I'm seeing bootcat.bin and bootimg.bin. Should I see that? Should I see something else? This seems so basic, and everyone else seems to get it, but I'm stuck.


    Thanks

    Rick

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4
    I am having the exact same problem.

    Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook with Windows XP.

    Downloaded the .iso, confirmed successful download with the checksum file.

    Entered the BIOS on start-up and moved CD/DVD/CD-RW to the first position in the boot queue (before floppy disk and hard disk).

    Used Roxio to create a bootable CD. Attempted it with the Hard Disk Emulation and No Emulation options in Roxio.

    With both emulation methods, when I slipped the bootable CD in the CD-RW drive and re-started the computer, all I got was a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. No Knoppix. :-/

    Is the problem with Roxio?

    Thoughts? Anyone?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Sunny S. Florida
    Posts
    4
    well, as usual as soon as I ask the question I start looking around and figure it out.

    In Roxio EZ cd, instead of using the file/new cd project, look down the list, under file there is record cd from cd image.

    Just burned the cd and got the directories demos, KNOPPIX and Talks, the files autorun.bat, autorun.inf, index.html, and knoppix.ico.

    Going to try to run it now.

    Rick

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    The iso is a "perfect copy" of the CD, boot stuff and all, you just need to burn the iso image to CD. Sorry I haven't used roxio or adaptec cd-burner software, they use a different name for their default image not an iso, something else.

    Do some searching around, I've seen instructions either here or on the knopper site about using roxio and nero to burn an iso image.

    HTH

    rock

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4
    Rick--

    Discovered the same thing myself in the last 10 minutes. It's burning now....race to see which of us overcomes our newbieness first!

    --g

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Sunny S. Florida
    Posts
    4
    Got it to run, worked better than I expected, had a bunch of software and was up and running on my DSL connection with no fuss. Too easy once I got the cd burned.

    I'm also running a dell, dimension 8250, P4 2.4, 512rdram, I think it did not see my sound card, but it seemed to see my scsi drives and found the onboard network card, (win2K couldn't even do that) I'm back on windoze now, no problem with going back and forth as I've seen on some other posts.

    I'm very excited about getting to play with this.

    Thanks for the forum.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4
    Yup, worked for me to. Up and running with Knoppix on my Dimension 8200 (P3, 1.8GHz, 512m). Found my sound card with no problem.

    However, I don't have DSL (just dial-up), and it appears to not recognize the notebook's internal modem, so no Internet connection from within Knoppix (yet). Will need to play around with that some.

    Logged on via my old Thinkpad 600X now so I didn't have to reboot to WinXP to respond.


  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I am inclined to say the problem is roxio. I tried TWICE with roxio to burn the ISO to no avail. first try with nero worked like a charm

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Your laptop's modem might be a Winmodem

    --Check ' man wvdial ' and then ' wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf ' to see if it detects the modem.

    Quote Originally Posted by gritter
    However, I don't have DSL (just dial-up), and it appears to not recognize the notebook's internal modem, so no Internet connection from within Knoppix (yet). Will need to play around with that some.

    Logged on via my old Thinkpad 600X now so I didn't have to reboot to WinXP to respond.


Similar Threads

  1. Newbie question
    By Fred666 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 05:01 PM
  2. Newbie question
    By Fred666 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 03:43 AM
  3. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  4. Newbie question...
    By JMichael in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 08:01 PM
  5. Newbie question
    By linuxfool in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 03:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R640  8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU

$315.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99