-
kppp connection problem
Hi all!
I have a connection problem which i have seen is similar to some people's problem, with a particular bit of difference, that's why i'm writing here... so, to the facts.
I have just installed Knoppix 3.3 in my HD, everything went perfect, but then, when configuring the dial-up connection with kppp... the following happens.
I press the connect button, connecting, the modem makes noise, same as under WXP... and then the logging in message appears until the timeout one.
The error given says:
"Cannot open any of the following logfiles
/var/log/syslog.ppp
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/messages"
Now, my mode is not a winmodem, which seems to be the most problematic kind... is an "US Robotics 56k Message Modem", but as i pointed out... the modem works, it even called my cell under Knoppix, so there is no problem with it (I presume).
So, what i tried... almots everykind of combination which is worth trying of the kppp options... the /etc/resolv.conf has the correspondent DNS...
I don't really know what else to try, and I feed off with Windows... so please help
-
Junior Member
registered user
Have you tried setting the device to something besides the first one, which is where it probably is set? Do setup>device>then try all of them, one at a time down the list. To check the modem without having to close everything and retry dialing, switch to the MODEM tab and do a 'query modem'. If it doesn't give you some ATX's, your modem isn't being seen at this point by the hardware/rest of puter.
To test dialing, in the tab 'terminal', type in atdt(and your home phone number) It should dial it. If you have two lines, pick the other one and get an 'ear full'.
Now it should dial you isp.
atdt1234567 for 7 digit dialing area where 1-7 is the desired phone number.
Hangup with ath0
I think you don't need to do the S0 thru S3 ones. I believe those are com port ones and are used by serial external modems (like I have), but the last four ttyl0-3 are the internal types?? I would try them first then the S0-3.
Anywho, the modem will return a 'unable to open modem' statement when it is wrong.
Hope this helps. :P
-
Junior Member
registered user
Have you tried setting the device to something besides the first one, which is where it probably is set? Do setup>device>then try all of them, one at a time down the list. To check the modem without having to close everything and retry dialing, switch to the MODEM tab and do a 'query modem'. If it doesn't give you some ATX's, your modem isn't being seen at this point by the hardware/rest of puter.
To test dialing, in the tab 'terminal', type in atdt(and your home phone number) It should dial it. If you have two lines, pick the other one and get an 'ear full'.
Now it should dial you isp.
atdt1234567 for 7 digit dialing area where 1-7 is the desired phone number.
Hangup with ath0
I think you don't need to do the S0 thru S3 ones. I believe those are com port ones and are used by serial external modems (like I have), but the last four ttyl0-3 are the internal types?? I would try them first then the S0-3.
Anywho, the modem will return a 'unable to open modem' statement when it is wrong.
Hope this helps. :P
Similar Threads
-
By Manstein in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-31-2005, 06:54 AM
-
By Nightmare in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-16-2005, 02:58 PM
-
By el.cubano in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-27-2004, 12:29 PM
-
By HumanBlade in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 08:08 AM
-
By gcoker in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-31-2003, 01:38 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2a 8-Core Ryzen Pro 7 5850U 1.90GHz 512GB SSD 16GB RAM
$300.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 3 8-Core AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 6850U 2.7GHz 512GB SSD 16GB RAM
$450.00

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 2a 8-Core AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 5850U 512GB SSD 16GB RAM
$345.00