-
Memory problem when rebooting after using Knoppix on Dell
I downloaded and burned a Knoppix v3.3 CD.
I was able to successfully use it on several systems, however I run into a strange problem when employing it on my own system.
I have a Dell Inspiron 4500S with 40G HD 256M of DDr RAM filling one of the two memory slots.
The CD loads just fine and Knoppix appears to run without any sort of problem at all.
However, upon shutting down to reboot from the HD, the system fails to load. I don't even get the Dell splash screen. The diagnostic code lights on the back show yellow-yellow-green-green, according to Dell this indicates:
Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.
The technician suggested my memory slot was bad since I was able to switch the memory to the other slot and start up just fine. However, upon reloading Knoppix I encountered the same error and switching back to the original slot solved the problem.
I am stumped by what could cause this behavior. The memory it appears is fine, as well as the slots. However, the system refuses to recognize them after rebooting from Knoppix until removed and reinstalled.
Any ideas or clues out there? Thanks for your time to help, I am getting into the Linux world and think Knoppix is an awesome idea.
Sincerely,
Phil MacCabe
Similar Threads
-
By jdykstra in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-14-2005, 07:58 PM
-
By hgpuke in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-07-2004, 10:42 PM
-
By Ambrose in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-05-2003, 10:59 PM
-
By jensen in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-01-2003, 09:06 PM
-
By Dickey Peterson in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-09-2003, 06:11 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5GbE Firewall Router – Excellent Condition
$435.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99