View Poll Results: Did you use PartitionMagic to partition you HD?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 60.00%
  • No

    2 40.00%
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: HD Install & Partition Magic

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    20

    HD Install & Partition Magic

    For the HD install, I used PartitionMagic to create the ext2 and swap partitions on my HD. No problem at all. It runs from windows, as well as having a cmd line version, and it is extremely simple to use. I used it to make sure I didnt kill my windows partitions. It resizes, creates, deletes, and formats partitions rather quickly. I probably would not have been able to install Knoppix or I would have really screwed something had I not used this program. Give it a try.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    did you install the bootloader. to the mbr or to the knopppix partition?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    20
    Nope. I let windows handle the OS loading part. It is explained in a Dual-Boot thread in the HD install section.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    bootitng does everthing PM does at about half the price. You can even try before you buy.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    20
    Who ever said that I paid for the program anyways
    Nother thing I like about Linux: no more trudging through warez sites!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Who ever said that I paid for the program anyways
    Hmmm. It seems that M$ and software piracy march hand in hand......

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    Who ever said that I paid for the program anyways
    Hmmm. It seems that M$ and software piracy march hand in hand......
    Hehe, you got that right! Well, with me anyways...

    I don't get it. Prices for good M$ software (Photoshop, etc.) are WAY too high ($1k!!). I would never pay for it anyways, so what loss is it to the company if I steal it? Im just using their software, not stealing something physical that can actually have a price attached to it. I mean...
    Um, is this turning into a rant?

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    20
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I had made the partitions on the same HD as WinXP, but I made an extended partition and then a logical partition inside of that, so that it did not screw with the MBR. PM does this automatically (creating an extended, and then a logical in the extended).

Similar Threads

  1. Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
    By mzilikazi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 04:34 PM
  2. GFE pcmcia card (8139too) - what magic?
    By rockdoctor in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 02:07 AM
  3. What powerful magic is this?
    By nube in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-20-2003, 04:28 AM
  4. hddinstall with patition magic?
    By THiM in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 03:35 PM
  5. Broken Knoppix Installation using Partition Magic
    By Tortoise in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver picture

G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver

$299.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204 picture

Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204

$24.97



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00