Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Recommended Partition Settings

  1. #1

    Recommended Partition Settings

    Well, starting out on my first customized Linux Spree (have previously done default installs from RedHat, FreeBSD, Scyld) with Knoppix. I have been using the LiveCD for troubleshooting and hardware ident for some time now, and so I thought I'd finally make the switch and dive in.

    All that to say this: HOW should I partition my drive, and why? I have seen a number of suggestions as to how, but no reasoning as to why. I'm looking for answers in the form of (XKB, X%) where XKB is the minimum I could get away with, and X% is the maximum percantage of my hdd I'd be likely to need.

    I'm looking for generalized answers for Knoppix Debian-style install, not specific to my 7GBhdd 128MBram pII266 laptop.

    Regards,
    -dBarr.

    PS: I've already read the Large Disk and Partition howtos. I've been in fdisk and qtparted and every other thing I can think of. I know the commands and settings to setup partitions; but HOW and WHY are another story.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    It's impossible to come up with any hard and fast recommendations. It really depends on what you're going to use the box for!

    A general purpose set up might look like:

    / max 5G (that's pretty extreme!) min 2.5
    swap max 500Mb min 0
    /home the rest

    Now, justification. A full install of Knoppix runs to rather more than 2G: maybe you don't want everything, maybe you want everything and more!

    I like swap. I believe in swap. The Linux swap model is very sophisticated. Even with half a gig of RAM I'm regularly using 10 to 15% swap. You might reasonably cut the half gig down to 250Mb, but you have little RAM, so I'd advise against doing without swap (although the system will still run).

    The rest for /home. You'll use it up eventually!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    I like swap. I believe in swap. The Linux swap model is very sophisticated. Even with half a gig of RAM I'm regularly using 10 to 15% swap. You might reasonably cut the half gig down to 250Mb, but you have little RAM, so I'd advise against doing without swap (although the system will still run).
    IIRC, swap should be the amount of RAM you have x2 up to a maximum of 512 MB?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    IIRC, swap should be the amount of RAM you have x2 up to a maximum of 512 MB?

    This -- although I'm unsure of the limit -- was true of 2.2 kernels. 2.4 will run without swap. But whether it runs faster or slower without swap is a matter of contention: it's probably an issue only the kernel team and/or some experimentation can settle (and may be determined by what you're actually running, too).

Similar Threads

  1. Recommended USB or PCMCIA WiFi for 802.11 b/g ?
    By JLDausman in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 06:47 PM
  2. Recommended USB WLAN adapter?
    By Gorkon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 05:57 PM
  3. Recommended sources.list
    By rozen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 08:21 PM
  4. recommended partition sizes
    By UselessPython in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2003, 07:44 PM
  5. Is it not recommended?
    By larryks in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2003, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Rainbow Apple Logo Travel Bag Computer Carrying Case Black Vintage picture

Rainbow Apple Logo Travel Bag Computer Carrying Case Black Vintage

$250.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



5 Vintage Apple Newton Stickers – Original Apple Memorabilia picture

5 Vintage Apple Newton Stickers – Original Apple Memorabilia

$15.00



Vintage Apple III  / External 5 1/4

Vintage Apple III / External 5 1/4" Floppy Disk Drive A3M0004 - Untested

$120.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck

$99.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More

$300.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99