Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Hello. New to both the forums and Linux

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    20

    Hello. New to both the forums and Linux

    Hello fellow forum members (I dont know what else to call you :P ). I am new to the scene here as well as a complete n00b to linux. I've a couple of 'friends' who run Gentoo, but they think themselves too high and mighty to help me with anything Linux related.

    I first tried Linux just the other day, booting with Knoppix to be exact. The reason for doing so was quite simple: meh Windowz just loves to crash and refuse to boot. I have had a good 10 years with the OS (Windows in general, and I am only 17), and I am quite efficient with both the operation and repair of it. Even though it often breaks down, there has been only one instance in which it required a fresh install (not reformat mind you, too much crap to lose). And so, I found that Linux could access my hard drives without booting to Windows, so I had a friend download it. I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice GUI (hey, I did not know...) and to see it a functional OS.

    Thanks for the support given by reading so far. I hope you guys can deal with me :P

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Hehe. We can deal with you. Glad you have seen the linux light. Feel free to post any questions you might have in these forums, but I would recommend that you look at the docs section first. There is a lot of useful information in there. Search is also your friend.

    Since you're just starting out in Linux here is a resource that you may find useful to get some of the basics under you belt.

    http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/

Similar Threads

  1. RSS feed for the forums
    By gnarvaja in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 07:43 PM
  2. New Forums
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 04:04 AM
  3. Alternative forums
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 08:47 PM
  4. New Forums
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 02:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99