Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Making a script for package removal but DPKG-QUERY ?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    37

    Making a script for package removal but DPKG-QUERY ?

    Most people have seen:

    dpkg-query -W --showformat='\${Installed-Size} \${Package}\n'

    which lists packages with their size. I'm looking for a similar command that lists packages with their description and this isn't working properly:

    dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Package} ${Description}\n'

    I'm want to write a script that helps you build a decent kick list for customization.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    19
    This is not quite an answer to your question as much as it is a suggestion that might steer you into a direction.

    When I first started remastering KNOPPIX I wanted it small. My current KNOPPIX size with KDE etc. is 460 MB. ... Moving on... I wasn't sure what to remove. So to make my original kicklist I did this:

    apt-get remove x[tab][tab]

    - where 'x' is a letter of the alphabet followed by 2 strikes of the 'tab' key. This should list all installed packages that start with that letter/number.

    Then to see a program description I would:

    dpkg -l filename

    - where 'filename' is the name of the installed package you want to see a description of, pulled from the displayed list that is generated by the above apt-get command.

    Hope this helps,

    fsl

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    Small Knoppix

    how small did you get it ??
    can I get a copy of your kicklist etc..
    Im having so much trouble getting my knoppix to remove everything I need, I run into depend problems.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    Check firefox.iso in morphix sf.net downloads lists.. it's around 92Mb and it has only firefox. I'm sure you can work from there on. I'm working on even smaller version.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    37
    Thanks but I found a work-around...

    For those interested, the script so far goes through every installed package sorted by size descending, its version, size, what packages are dependant on it and its description. Then it asks you whether to move it to a KICK list or a KEEP list.

    Given there are 1197 packages, you can save.

    Still need to add "move from KICK", "move from KEEP" and "check dependencies".

    I remastered KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso sans mozilla just to see if I could. It worked. This is my latest time eater.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5
    I was fumbling around with these scripts as well and in the end I thought bugger this and did apt-get install synaptic

    problem solved

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    37

    root@ttyp1[/]# synaptic
    (synaptic:478: Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

    Which is odd since I can run Gtkam and efax-gtk which would seem to implay Gtk is configured properly...

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by kayl

    root@ttyp1[/]# synaptic
    (synaptic:478: Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

    Which is odd since I can run Gtkam and efax-gtk which would seem to implay Gtk is configured properly...
    Try adding this to your /root/.bashrc.
    Code:
    # Allows me to run an X program as root
    export XAUTHORITY=/home/stephen/.Xauthority
    You would of course change the stephen in the line to your users name then while still in the console window source /root/.bashrc to re-read the file with the new settings and you should be able to run the program.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    37
    Created:

    export XAUTHORITY=/home/knoppix/.Xauthority

    in /root/.bashrc and source'd it.

    Same output.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5
    It's probably not the right thing to do, but I always do

    chroot /dev/hdx/KNOPPIX (chroot into your building environment)
    DISPLAY=x.x.x.x:0.0 (where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the machine I'm running the knoppix CD on)
    export DISPLAY
    synaptic

    and it runs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. lm-sensors_2.9.1-1, debian src package, query
    By jjmac in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 11:55 AM
  2. "dpkg-query -l" don't display all installed packag
    By wen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 03:18 AM
  3. best method(s) for performing a package removal
    By metzelplik in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 07:18 PM
  4. Package Removal questions
    By Drezliok in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 07:39 AM
  5. Quick Package Removal
    By William_Olbrys in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.66