-
Senior Member
registered user
Sound & Video Card Purchase Questions/Information
I have outlived my "motherboard" mounted video and sound cards, and I am seeking information on the best purchase of each of these cards. I want to ensure that they will not only work in Linux/Debian/Knoppix, but will give me the best possible price to performance for many years to come...
First, the video card - AGP card slot, capable of playing many of the "video" games currently out in the world for Linux. As it is right now, I can't play Chromium, Tux-racer, Tux-kart, or any other "video" intersive games - I can't even use some of the "open-gl" screen savers if they use a lot of FPS. Considering the video I have now, uses the main memory, a video card with "on-board" memory will help even more.
Second, the sound card - ISA card slot, could be newer, not sure. I don't need more than stereo, so one of those 5.1 cards would be a waste of extra speaker outputs, but, I would like to increase my quality of recording and playback. From what I heard, motherboard mounted sound cards are inherently natorious for bad quality sound, and now that I have ALSA running, I seem to be finding this fact out, first hand. (I keep getting a low clicking sound when playing a audio cd with XMMS now.)
I wish I could say cost is not an issue, and that the cutting edge is paramount, but both are incorrect. Cost needs to be weighed against the quality, and the "usability" from within Linux. I would prefer "name brand", because of the manufacturers reputation, but am willing to sacrifice a Sound-Blaster for John-Doe's Garage Sound Card, if it is supported in Linux, has the best features, best sound quality, and a nice price.
Current video requirements, minimum, as I have them now, 1280 x 1024 x 32 bit - and my video memory is shared with main memory. This is a VIA Technologies KM133 -=- Current sound card is also a VIA Technologies VT82C686 AC97.
What I care about:
Sound - being able to acurately record and playback sound from multiple internal and external sources. My business records analog (cassette tape) source, edits it, and then creates digital (cd audio) targets for individual customers. Stereo is required. I also play some of the Video/Sound intensive games, so sound would be nice for that too 
Video - being able to retain the screen settings I have now, and be able to play more of the video intensive games that are currently available through an apt-get. I don't usually play any of those intensive internet "video" games, so maybe the video card doesn't need to be "that" big. Maybe just able to play a lot of the FPS intensive, "action" games (see above).
Thank you for any information, or background, on your preferances, likes, dislikes, what you have, would like to have, etc...
Cuddles
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hmmmmm,
I am amazed, no responses?
No one want to rave about a specific card, or "save" a pour soul from buying the "wrong" card?
Come on here folks, I am serious about information here... What cards do you have, what works good, great, fantastic? What fizzled before it even came out of the box, and got worse as it got closer and closer to Linux and the system???
Any input here?
Cuddles
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can get a Soundblaster 5.1 for under $30 shipped but if all you have is an ISA slot available then good luck.
-
For ISA I would reccomend a Creative AWE64. If you phone around to your local computer stores or post on a local buy and sell website or newsgroup you should be able to pick one up for $10.00, or so. I guess for good compatability you can't go wrong with a Nvidia GF4 MX440. Dirt cheap even for a 64MB card.
Similar Threads
-
By AngelFch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
-
By RNK in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-23-2004, 12:27 AM
-
By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
-
Replies: 20
Last Post: 08-04-2003, 03:24 PM
-
By nomex in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz 8 Core Processor
$85.00

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00

Intel Core i7-7700 SR338 3.6GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 Kaby Lake CPU Processor - Good
$39.99

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU
$39.99

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339
$39.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$69.99

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00

COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4
$169.95

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished
$44.99