Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Sound & Video Card Purchase Questions/Information

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Sound & Video Card Purchase Questions/Information

    I have outlived my "motherboard" mounted video and sound cards, and I am seeking information on the best purchase of each of these cards. I want to ensure that they will not only work in Linux/Debian/Knoppix, but will give me the best possible price to performance for many years to come...

    First, the video card - AGP card slot, capable of playing many of the "video" games currently out in the world for Linux. As it is right now, I can't play Chromium, Tux-racer, Tux-kart, or any other "video" intersive games - I can't even use some of the "open-gl" screen savers if they use a lot of FPS. Considering the video I have now, uses the main memory, a video card with "on-board" memory will help even more.

    Second, the sound card - ISA card slot, could be newer, not sure. I don't need more than stereo, so one of those 5.1 cards would be a waste of extra speaker outputs, but, I would like to increase my quality of recording and playback. From what I heard, motherboard mounted sound cards are inherently natorious for bad quality sound, and now that I have ALSA running, I seem to be finding this fact out, first hand. (I keep getting a low clicking sound when playing a audio cd with XMMS now.)

    I wish I could say cost is not an issue, and that the cutting edge is paramount, but both are incorrect. Cost needs to be weighed against the quality, and the "usability" from within Linux. I would prefer "name brand", because of the manufacturers reputation, but am willing to sacrifice a Sound-Blaster for John-Doe's Garage Sound Card, if it is supported in Linux, has the best features, best sound quality, and a nice price.

    Current video requirements, minimum, as I have them now, 1280 x 1024 x 32 bit - and my video memory is shared with main memory. This is a VIA Technologies KM133 -=- Current sound card is also a VIA Technologies VT82C686 AC97.

    What I care about:
    Sound - being able to acurately record and playback sound from multiple internal and external sources. My business records analog (cassette tape) source, edits it, and then creates digital (cd audio) targets for individual customers. Stereo is required. I also play some of the Video/Sound intensive games, so sound would be nice for that too

    Video - being able to retain the screen settings I have now, and be able to play more of the video intensive games that are currently available through an apt-get. I don't usually play any of those intensive internet "video" games, so maybe the video card doesn't need to be "that" big. Maybe just able to play a lot of the FPS intensive, "action" games (see above).

    Thank you for any information, or background, on your preferances, likes, dislikes, what you have, would like to have, etc...
    Cuddles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Hmmmmm,

    I am amazed, no responses?

    No one want to rave about a specific card, or "save" a pour soul from buying the "wrong" card?

    Come on here folks, I am serious about information here... What cards do you have, what works good, great, fantastic? What fizzled before it even came out of the box, and got worse as it got closer and closer to Linux and the system???

    Any input here?
    Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    You can get a Soundblaster 5.1 for under $30 shipped but if all you have is an ISA slot available then good luck.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    For ISA I would reccomend a Creative AWE64. If you phone around to your local computer stores or post on a local buy and sell website or newsgroup you should be able to pick one up for $10.00, or so. I guess for good compatability you can't go wrong with a Nvidia GF4 MX440. Dirt cheap even for a 64MB card.

Similar Threads

  1. No sound w/ Live CD - onboard sound card, Asus/Via
    By AngelFch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
  2. chat with sound & video
    By RNK in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2004, 12:27 AM
  3. SOund card fun:Sound Blaster Audigy OEM also Radeon 9600Pro
    By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
  4. Possible purchase of DVD
    By Stephen in forum News
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 03:24 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00