You might want to look at:
http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_d...e_barriers.htm
Seems like the Maxtor 160 used to ship with a controller card for old systems, but nowadays they probably charge extra for it![]()
I have a new 160GB Maxtor disk, my bios reports it as 137GB, presumably because of the LBA limitations. There isn't a bios upgrade for my K7AMA mobo. Windoze XP sees the full size of the disk and can partiton with NTFS and/or FAT32 but whatever I do with Knoppix (3.3 rel 2004-02-16) I can't seem to make it happy with my hard drive. Has anyone any suggestions please? I would ideally like to HD install and then setup my Alcatel Speedtouch330 DSL modem. I've been searching for help with both these problems, I've found a lot of suggestions to get the modem working but obviously I'd like to get the HDD problem sorted first. Any clues would be greatly appreciated, "H"
You might want to look at:
http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_d...e_barriers.htm
Seems like the Maxtor 160 used to ship with a controller card for old systems, but nowadays they probably charge extra for it![]()
Thanks for the above, a very useful and interesting link.Originally Posted by Markus
I read what they have about size limitations and it lead me to Maxtors own info. on the topic. Basically it seems there are 3 solutions (unless Knoppix or Linux offers an alternative? PLEASE!).
1) Use WindozeXP with Maxtors "Big Drive Enabler" - yes this fixes the problem in Windoze - but not Knoppix.
2) Download and Install: The Intel Application Accelerator which provides 48-Bit LBA compliant ATA/ATAPI controller drivers (IntelATA.mpd) BUT only if you have an Intel chipset (guess what... mines ALI M1645!)
3) Buy an Ultra ATA adapter card OR a new mobo - if only I had the money, unfortunately I just spent my savings on a new 160Gb hard drive!
Maybe Knoppix3.4 with the latest Linux Kernel will provide the solution?
I wait in hope for a solution, meanwhile I can still use 128GiB or 137GB of my disk.
Regards "H"
P.S. Scan had a Highpoint Rocket Accelerator on their "Today Only" page at the weekend, so I dug deep and bought one (only Ł14.68 ) I now have a much faster and complete 160Gb+ disk. I've decide to use my original 45Gb disk just for Linux so I'm now going to set it up to dual-boot.

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...
$599.99
OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00
Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00
Dell OptiPlex 5050 SFF Core i5-7500, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Win11 PRO Up
$89.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$395.00
HP - OmniBook 3 - 14" 2K OLED Laptop - Snapdragon X (8-Core CPU) - 8GB Memory...
$399.99
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99
*Brand New-Factory Sealed* AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 5.6GHz AM5 00-100001973WOF
$429.00
Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$229.99
HP ENVY 2-in-1 Convertible Intel Core i7 8th Gen Windows Silver w/Charger
$185.00