Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Maxtor 160GB ATA IDE problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9

    Maxtor 160GB ATA IDE problem

    I have a new 160GB Maxtor disk, my bios reports it as 137GB, presumably because of the LBA limitations. There isn't a bios upgrade for my K7AMA mobo. Windoze XP sees the full size of the disk and can partiton with NTFS and/or FAT32 but whatever I do with Knoppix (3.3 rel 2004-02-16) I can't seem to make it happy with my hard drive. Has anyone any suggestions please? I would ideally like to HD install and then setup my Alcatel Speedtouch330 DSL modem. I've been searching for help with both these problems, I've found a lot of suggestions to get the modem working but obviously I'd like to get the HDD problem sorted first. Any clues would be greatly appreciated, "H"

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You might want to look at:
    http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_d...e_barriers.htm

    Seems like the Maxtor 160 used to ship with a controller card for old systems, but nowadays they probably charge extra for it

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    You might want to look at:
    http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_d...e_barriers.htm

    Seems like the Maxtor 160 used to ship with a controller card for old systems, but nowadays they probably charge extra for it
    Thanks for the above, a very useful and interesting link.
    I read what they have about size limitations and it lead me to Maxtors own info. on the topic. Basically it seems there are 3 solutions (unless Knoppix or Linux offers an alternative? PLEASE!).
    1) Use WindozeXP with Maxtors "Big Drive Enabler" - yes this fixes the problem in Windoze - but not Knoppix.
    2) Download and Install: The Intel Application Accelerator which provides 48-Bit LBA compliant ATA/ATAPI controller drivers (IntelATA.mpd) BUT only if you have an Intel chipset (guess what... mines ALI M1645!)
    3) Buy an Ultra ATA adapter card OR a new mobo - if only I had the money, unfortunately I just spent my savings on a new 160Gb hard drive!

    Maybe Knoppix3.4 with the latest Linux Kernel will provide the solution?

    I wait in hope for a solution, meanwhile I can still use 128GiB or 137GB of my disk.

    Regards "H"

    P.S. Scan had a Highpoint Rocket Accelerator on their "Today Only" page at the weekend, so I dug deep and bought one (only £14.68 ) I now have a much faster and complete 160Gb+ disk. I've decide to use my original 45Gb disk just for Linux so I'm now going to set it up to dual-boot.

Similar Threads

  1. Maxtor 120 GB One Touch Backup
    By usaramblinman69 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 02:02 AM
  2. Maxtor SATA support in Knoppix
    By hotrodedmonds in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 09:42 PM
  3. Maxtor SATA support in Knoppix
    By hotrodedmonds in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 02:42 PM
  4. Knoppix & partioning new disk on Maxtor ATA/100 PCI Adap
    By e.newed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 05:20 AM
  5. Maxtor External USB Hard drive
    By Breakout42 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 11:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



DELL POWEREDGE R640 8SFF 2x 8 CORE SILVER 4110 2.1GHZ 32GB RAM H740P NO HDD picture

DELL POWEREDGE R640 8SFF 2x 8 CORE SILVER 4110 2.1GHZ 32GB RAM H740P NO HDD

$550.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D - Ryzen 7 9000 Series Zen 5 8-Core 5.2 GHz - Socket AM5 120W picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D - Ryzen 7 9000 Series Zen 5 8-Core 5.2 GHz - Socket AM5 120W

$399.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$395.00



AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD AM5 picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD AM5

$275.00



HP - OmniBook 3 - 14

HP - OmniBook 3 - 14" 2K OLED Laptop - Snapdragon X (8-Core CPU) - 8GB Memory...

$399.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor…. picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….

$309.99



Dell Latitude 5420 14 in (256 GB SSD Intel Core i5 11th Gen. 4.40 GHz 8 GB)... picture

Dell Latitude 5420 14 in (256 GB SSD Intel Core i5 11th Gen. 4.40 GHz 8 GB)...

$149.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor  picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor

$145.00