Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: A knoppix challenege

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mayfield, Ky
    Posts
    6

    A knoppix challenege

    Alright guys, please don't yell at me....

    This is a challenge my instructor gave to me and as I couldn't get it to work on my own I'm trying to find any way with which to pull this off.

    The thing is as an experiment he wanted me to see if I could get corel word perfect onto knoppix and get it to run, now I can get wine up and going but everytime I try to install word perfect I get to where it's going to start installing and it pops up saying the location doesn't exist and wine exits. The machine in questiong is dual booting xp and knoppix 3.3. I've even tried installing it in xp and then copying it out into knoppix and still no luck. Any other options? Or do I need to just chalk this one up as a loss?

    My teacher knows nothing of linux so he challenged me with this just to see if it would accept other applications. His thinking is that an operating system is only as good as the applications it can run and I have to agree with 'em. I appreciate any answers or comments at all...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    An earlier version of Word Perfect was ported for Linux and was OK, nothing wonderful, until Star Office and OOo became mature. IMHO, they've now overtaken Word Perfect (which isn't an especially great application).

    If you can find a 16bit (that is, intended for Windows 3.1) version of WP or Word Pro, you'll almost certainly find that they run fine under Wine. I'm pretty sure that the 32bit versions will run fine in Codeweavers' CrossOver version of Wine.

    His thinking is that an operating system is only as good as the applications it can run and I have to agree with 'em.
    The man is clearly an idiot!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Abiword Instead

    Tell your prof he'll have to "settle" for Abiword. It reads Wordperfect files just fine.

    Abiword is powerful. You can even create pdf docs by saving as a Postscript file then converting with Ghostview.

    sakiZ

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Given that WordPerfect is (or at least has been) available for Linux, I would consider this issue resolved. I even have a copy of CorelLinux with WordPerfect 8 on my bookshelf. So how can this be a problem??? Surely the professor can't insist that one makes the Windows version work with Linux when the company already has produced a Linux version. By that logic Windows is even worse since it doesn't run the Linux version of WordPerfect at all.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Curious About Wordperfect

    I am curious about Wordperfect 8 for Linux. (That is what I use on the Windows side of my dual boot setup.)

    Did you install it in Knoppix? (Assuming you did the full HD install.) In otherwords, is it Debian compatible?

    sakiZ

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Curious About Wordperfect

    Quote Originally Posted by sakiZ
    Did you install it in Knoppix? (Assuming you did the full HD install.)
    Installing Knoppix to hard disk is against my belief system. And I have no pressing reason to want to use Word Prefect over the tools in Knoppix; so no, I have not put any effort into this. But if I had to make WP work with Knoppix as a class assignment, I would certainly start with a verion intended for Linux rather than one intended for a different OS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...

$349.99



Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader

$571.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$259.25



Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14

Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14" i5 8365U 16GB NEW 256gb SSD WIN 11 pro CAM WIFI

$249.99