Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: mounting hd and running image from hd

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2

    mounting hd and running image from hd

    I know how to use the fromhd and tohd boot codes. However, I've noticed that if I use either one (which does make knoppix run must faster), I can't use the partition (say /dev/hda1 for example). "mount /mnt/hda1" reports it is already in use and mount doesn't list it. Manually mounting (i.e. "mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1") doesn't work either. Same for just going to /mnt/hda1. It's there, but empty (and the hd isn't empty).

    I'm missing something. Does anyone know what?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I'm missing something too: what exactly are you trying to achieve?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2
    What I'm trying to do is run the knoppix image from a harddrive (for the extra speed), yet still be able to use the harddrive/partition. So far, I can either run from CD, then mount the harddrive and use it (fat32 BTW), or I run knoppix from the harddrive, but can't read or write to that same harddrive (or partition). I'd like to do both at the same time. Note that I am not trying to do a hard drive install. Just use the fromhd and tohd boot codes.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I'm not sure it can be done like that. If a partition is in use, it can't be mounted, AIUI. And if it can't be mounted, it can't be read.

    Another solution would be to create a swap partition on that Windows (?) drive, or create a partition to be used (so that the other partitions can be).

Similar Threads

  1. Shutdown with image file and subsequent mounting fails
    By Waszszaf in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 05:29 AM
  2. Mounting USB HDD
    By Static_C in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 04:42 PM
  3. Problems with mounting an image with cloop 1.02
    By wschalk in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 05:31 PM
  4. Running Knoppix in without the X Server running....
    By Raineri in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM
  5. Mounting a Loopback image
    By mattsbr in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 07:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00