-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix NTFS Write is/is not available ?!?
Here is yet another Linux Newbie trying to get around a problem M$ created with open source tools. The problem is in creating a bootable OS which allows for modification of M$ NTFS partitions. I've been reading KNOPPIX FAQ's, posts, notes for two dayz now and believe it will allow me to boot from a CD and either modifiy text files on an NTFS partition or copy/add files to that partition. However the official FAQ's for Knoppix say either that writting to NTFS is not supported or that it is 'experimental'.
Googling provided other opinions which were not limited to the Knoppix distribution.
I AM a semi-virgin with respect to Linux: can barely wade into chest deep water at this point. And am hoping to give myself a crash course on Linux with this project ( yes, I know: Windows crashes, not Linux :P ) I have found info on this at
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/...ize.html#write
and
http://www.jankratochvil.net/project...html.pl#debian
amongst others, but am becoming a little overwhelmed trying to keep track of which programs work with which versions of which distro, etc. Especially in that I still have to translate simple functinality terms in Knoppix/Linux into their Windows counterparts.
For some reason I get the impression one CAN write to NTFS using the latest Knoppix stable release either with an ad-in or not... I'd like to be able to create a new master of Knoppix which would allow me to provide triage to damaged W2K and XP systems, but have not been able to find anything like that here on the forum. Has Knoppix progressed this far, or is this ability still considered ' bleeding edge ' ?
Many Thanks for all of your advice
Paul
-
There's a couple of knoppix variants which have NTFS write support.
One is bitdefender's linux disk www.bitdefender.com
http://www.distrowatch.com/table.php...ution=defender
One is called Insert, it's a mini variant (business card size)
http://www.distrowatch.com/table.php...ibution=insert
Mandrake Move might have NTFS writing on their live CD, because they have NTFS resizing tools in their Mandrake Distro.
http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php...eview-mandrake
-
Junior Member
registered user
I'll check them out.
I've read that Knoppix 3.4 might support NTFS writes, and that it was due out about now. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Would it write to all versions of NTFS ( I believe Win 2003 Server introduced a new version but am not certain ).
-
Knoppix 3.4 can write on NTFS. I haven't tried it (don't wanna take a chance on this comp) but on a damaged system, go ahead. It uses captive which works on all W2k and XP drives ONLY. These contain special system files which define the NTFS partition scheme and such. Captive uses these to write to the disk. Good luck aquiring v 3.4
-
Senior Member
registered user
You should be able to get a modified 3.4 version from me tomorrow. I'll be sure to post a link for you when its available.
Getting ahold of 3.4 can be kind of difficult, but my host has alloted me plenty of bandwidth, so you should have no trouble once I get my iso uploaded.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanx Razor, Arkaine. I'll try it first on a couple of standby Educational PC's we keep for occasional classroom type instruction, then see what it does to an XP installation.
You said it uses 'captive'... is that a variation of the Wine software mentioned above?
And as it was not listed I presume the version of NTFS in W2003 is out. Not that we run it ( tho I have a test server set up at home: hmmmm
)
Paul
-
Senior Member
registered user
Captive will let you import the needed windows kernel and drivers for windows filesystems and wrap them so that Linux can use them. If you can't import them, it will download them from windowsupdate.com out of the XP service pack 1.
Once captive drivers are aquired, you just have to mount your NTFS partition-
mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hdXX /mnt/hdXX
I'm pretty sure it would work on Win2003 since that's essentially winXP server edition.
-
It works for W2k3 Server.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Pardon me for being totally dense ( LINUX?? )
Is ' Captive ' a program... er RPM ... or something built into the LINUX Kernel?
In Knoppix ( what is the appropriate abbreviation for Knoppix? K? Kn? ) 3.3 I presume (?) Captive does not exist. Could one of you point me/us toward a URL which explains where this ' new ' ability comes from? If its third party and they make a living from it I generalliy like to pay for my shareware. IF not, then Linus T. must have blessed it, thus I can ignore it as it will probably work as planned.
Paul, a'waiting the 3.4 download with baited breath
-

Originally Posted by
bluewhale
Pardon me for being totally dense ( LINUX?? )
Is ' Captive ' a program... er RPM ... or something built into the LINUX Kernel?
In Knoppix ( what is the appropriate abbreviation for Knoppix? K? Kn? ) 3.3 I presume (?) Captive does not exist. Could one of you point me/us toward a URL which explains where this ' new ' ability comes from? If its third party and they make a living from it I generalliy like to pay for my shareware. IF not, then Linus T. must have blessed it, thus I can ignore it as it will probably work as planned.
Paul, a'waiting the 3.4 download with baited breath
Here's how it works on BitDefender.
Click on the 'Captive NTFS' icon on the desktop.
An application runs, scans your drives, or in my case, my USB storage key. It gets the cdfs.sys ntfs.sys ntoskrnl.exe and a coule of other .sys files. Then, when I mount /mnt/hda1 it can read and write that NTFS drive.
You can also use QTparted to resize the NTFS partitions as well.
Similar Threads
-
By entropy8 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-19-2005, 12:02 AM
-
By Arrummzen in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 20
Last Post: 01-06-2005, 01:35 AM
-
By terminator in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 10:52 PM
-
By TLis in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-15-2004, 09:12 AM
-
By TheTempest in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Lot of 3~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V-LE2 Server RAM Memory DDR4
$600.00

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM
$286.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

Lot of 2~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB3 Server RAM Memory DDR4
$400.00

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00

Samsung 4 X 4GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA SO-DIMM Laptop Memory M471A5244CB0-CWE
$80.00