Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Booting KNOPPIX. PLEASE HELP!!

  1. #1

    Booting KNOPPIX. PLEASE HELP!!

    I have downloaded KNOPPIX and ran it on my friend's PC. I must say that it is a VERY nice program. Unfortunatly I cannot run the program on my PC. I have tried to boot it just by pressing enter in at the boot menu. It says that it loads 2 files and then the screen goes blank. However if I boot with phlak vga=normal I pass the screen that boots the 2 files and I get a screen that says "Unpacking Linux... OK, Openning Karnel." and that's where it hangs. I have tried a lot of different command combinations but they don't work (including screen=XxX). Can someone PLEASE help me. Thank You.

    I'm running a DELL labtop 5150
    3.06 Ghz
    30 gig HD
    512 RAM
    64 meg video card

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Many others have reported similar issues with that model.
    Try typing
    Code:
    knoppix nosmp
    at the boot prompt. If that doesn't help try upgrading the BIOS first
    and then boot again with knoppix nosmp
    If it still doesn't work you may need to use another kernel, in that case read this:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6154

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Stanwood Washington
    Posts
    84
    I had a problem with my ZIP drive doing about the same thing to me. "Fixed" it by inserting a disk in the drive... Go figure

    Try inserting the appropriate media in all your drives, tape, zip, floppy, external HD, etc.

    Couldn't hurt!

  4. #4
    Mustang64, THANKS A LOT!! I've downloaded the image, burned it and finally it booted!!!. thx a lot dude.

    I have only 2 questions:

    1) I can't copy or transfer files on my HD after I boot Knoppix. (Maybe because I don't have enough privleges (rw-rw-rw) even though I changed the previlages in the options)

    2) How do I get wireless network on Knoppix. What do I need?

    thx a lot

Similar Threads

  1. Booting Knoppix from CD
    By TheLaxPlayer in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 01:26 AM
  2. Booting to knoppix
    By MindTricks in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 06:53 AM
  3. Booting Knoppix
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 04:05 AM
  4. Booting Knoppix 3.2
    By martin236 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2003, 02:40 PM
  5. Booting to knoppix
    By KnoppixSecurity in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 01:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01