I am going to use partition magic to partition the HD. I would like to now where I can find a step by step install of this. I am having nothing but trouble with this install. I have a single HD. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
I am going to use partition magic to partition the HD. I would like to now where I can find a step by step install of this. I am having nothing but trouble with this install. I have a single HD. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Here you will be able to partition your hard drive using the QTparted. If you are used to Partition Magic, QTparted is similar. You need to save and possibly reboot.Code:sudo knoppix-installer
As a mininium:
3 gigs for an install
double your ram is a good size for swap your swap partition.
Hey All,
I just finished installing Knoppix to my HDD. I want to say thank you to Klaus, and to all of you that post with excellent information. Knoppix is great, and the info you have shared has gotten me this far. Thanks.
So I decided to post, and relate how I installed Knoppix on my HDD with Windows XP Pro as my main OS until now.
Dell D600 Latitude Laptop (1.6 GHz Centrino)
40 GB HDD
1 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9000 Mobile, 14.1" SXGA+ screen
Intel PRO/LAN 2100 Wireless 802.11b card
1.) I used Partition Magic 8.1 to partition my drive C:\. I had 40 GB HDD that I took 10 GB off. I made a 8 GB ext3 partition (primary), 750 GB swap file parition (logical), and 1.250GB user directory partition (logical).
I'm a n00b, and so I'm just hoping this was OK.
2.) Rebooted and started Knoppix. Nothing special there.
3.) Opened a term window and typed "sudo knoppix-installer". Really, I followed the instructions here: http://knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo. The third paragraph pnly.
4.) An installer window appears. I selected #1, then #2 and started the installation. I also selected that the bootsector be written to the partition I was installing Knoppix to, NOT the mbr.
5.) After installation gets done, in the same term window inputted the following to get the bootsector file: "dd if=/dev/hdx# of=/bootsect.knx bs=512 count=1"
This procedure is located at: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174, and you substitute "x#" in "/hdax#" for the partition you are using to install Knoppix to. Mine was hda3 (First HHD, third partition).
6.) Then I copied the bootsector file I had just made, so that I could email to myself. My Dell laptop has no floppy! So, I entered: "cp /bootsector.knx bootsector.knx.txt". I then opened up Mozilla Mail, configured it for my POP account (make sure you dont download your email at the end, and in the Account Settings, set the option to leave your mail on the server), and emailed myself the bootsect.knx.txt file. Easy-peasy!
7.) I then reboot to Windows, opened up Outlook Express and saved my knoppix.knx.txt file to C:\. Opening up a Command Prompt window, I entered:
cd \
attrib -h -r -s boot.ini
copy boot.ini boot.old
notepad boot.ini
Then I add "C:\bootsect.knx "Knoppix 3.3"" at the end of the file, and changed the "Timeout=30" to "Timeout=5". Just like the instructions here told me so: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174. Saved the boot.ini file, and un-did the attrib settings, and renamed the bootsect.knx.txt file:
attrib +h +r +s boot.ini
rename bootsect.knx.txt bootsect.knx
8.) I then rebooted and am enjoying my installation of Knoppix, even as I type this.
Notes: I tried the QTParted program, but for some reason, it crashed on me. So, I just used Partition Magic instead. My next thing is to get my wireless card working, and I believe I need to have a newer kernel (2.4.25 or 2.6.x for ndiswrapper). I'm trying to understand how to get there.
Again, I didn't figure any of this out. My understanding of some things might be skewed, but thank you to all of you for your contributions.
Scott
so barl0w if i follow what you did to very letter i can get to choose between booting win xp and knoppix on my computer? coz wen i installed knoppix on the lilo menu i got only knoppix to choose...then i changed a bit in lilo.config and now i never get the menu anymore but the pc boots win xp automatically so i kinda lost my knoppix installation...what do u suggest i do?
shadino,
You've got to try this then. It worked for me 3 times or so in a row ( I either screwed up the installation or switch from Knoppix and Knoppix-STD and back, so I installed it that many times), and I have total confidence in it.
Here's a tip - before asking, "Should I really follow the directions, and will they really work for me?", take a chance and test it out. What's the worst thing that could happen? You ARE backing up your data before you do this anyway, RIGHT!?!?!
Scott

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords
$149.99
Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99
Commodore 64 Computer In Original Box w Cord & User Manual 💥
$149.99
TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded
$89.50
Commodore 1750 512K RAM Expansion REU for C128 / C64 – Tested & Working
$110.00
Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA
$10.49
Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller
$29.99
Vtg 128 / 64 Commodore 1541-II Computer Disk Drive in Box 5.25 Floppy (Working)
$89.99
Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99
RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on
$70.00