-
Server install on HDD
I'd like to install Knoppix 3.3 as a textbased (no graphical UI like X-Win and KDE) server with mainly samba and apache only to start with. Later I will add firewall and I-net dialup or a xDSL connection.
I would appreciate any suggestions on how to do it. I have tried to use Debian 3.0r2 but the supplied kernel, 2.4.18 couldn't discover my Promise Ultra ATA controller and my 120GB HD, but Knoppix can.
TIA
-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix will only install as the whole package, gui's, apps, and everything.
So you will either have to install all of it and then pare it down to what is necessary or use another distro.
Q. It appears that your promise card is an ata100/133 card, or is it a raid card?
I have two older promise cards in use, an ata33 and ata66 in Libranet boxes that work fine. If you want to stick with a debian based distro, you might check out the (free) Libranet 2.7 cd, it's got newer packages (kernel, etc.) than debian 3.0r2 and has a real easy install that would allow a server install.
HTH
~rock
-
Yes it's a Ultra ATA 133 card, and the chipset isn't supplied by Debian, yet anyway. But I'll giv the Libranet a try.... thanks for the tip.
Similar Threads
-
By Kowood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 04:35 AM
-
By fowlertrainer in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-30-2004, 10:03 PM
-
By t242 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-24-2004, 06:19 PM
-
By rex in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 03:40 AM
-
By wrexy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-19-2003, 06:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM
$499.99

SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V RDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N-VK
$299.99

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM
$329.99

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder
$3.99

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12
$1599.99

Samsung 16GB PC4-2400T 1Rx4 DDR4 ECC Server Memory RAM M393A2K40BB1-CRC0Q
$79.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM
$184.95

ASRock Z890 Nova WiFi LGA 1851 Intel Z890 ATX Motherboard
$184.99