Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: NEwb question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3

    NEwb question

    How do I load the cd into ram. I have a gig of ram so from what "ve read it should work fine. I keep reading about a command line for lilo or the like but where is it? Whne i boot with the cd in it just starts without me typing anything. Is there a key I need to hit while its booting so I can pass some arguments to the loader. Or do I have to edit the boot.img file to tell it to load into ram. I ve been interested in Linux for a while and was thinking this is a good opportunity to try it out but I am having little success doing what I want to. Oh Yea I don't have a floppy so I can;t do that way. Is there another flavour (or whatever its called) of KNOPPIX.ISO that I can download that boots into ram? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    i believe if you type

    knoppix toram

    at the syslinux boot prompt, it should copy the cd to ram. you can find other arguments in the knoppix cheatcodes file in the /knoppix dir of the cd

    hope this helps

    kamikaze2112

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze2112
    i believe if you type

    knoppix toram

    at the syslinux boot prompt, it should copy the cd to ram. you can find other arguments in the knoppix cheatcodes file in the /knoppix dir of the cd

    hope this helps

    kamikaze2112
    Just where might this syslinux boot prompt exist? That is the question my friend! I never see it and have no idea how to access it. And i have looked at the knoppix cheat codes but again haveno idea where to enter them. Am I really stupid or what?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    when you first boot up, there's a screen that says press F2 for help.... there is a prompt at the bottom. Type in your cheatcodes at that first screen. If you just press enter it will boot normally.

  5. #5
    thx arkaine23, i guess i should have been more specific....

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze2112
    thx arkaine23, i guess i should have been more specific....
    Thanks...don't remember seeing it but I'll look for it

Similar Threads

  1. newb question on knoppix
    By kinneas in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 03:55 AM
  2. Stupid question, please help a newb....
    By Mavrious in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 03:49 AM
  3. Newb Question... Sorry
    By knokoutned in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 04:55 PM
  4. Another newb install question
    By woody1377 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 03:53 PM
  5. An (I hope) basic networking question- linux newb
    By tl1moss in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 05:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro picture

Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro

$209.95



Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro picture

Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro

$209.95



Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro picture

Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro

$209.95



Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor

$27.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro picture

Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro

$209.95



Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 (Type 10115) Mini PC Brand New Console Only 4GBram 500gb picture

Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 (Type 10115) Mini PC Brand New Console Only 4GBram 500gb

$300.00