Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Recompiling Custom Kernel - Lots of problems....

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8

    Recompiling Custom Kernel - Lots of problems....

    L.S.,
    I recompiled the kernel, installed it in the knoppix image. I then copied the new kerel and cloop.o into boot.img according to the remastering how-to; On booting I end up with a kernel panic "No init found", this happens after the kernel and miniroot are completely loaded.

    The kernel panic appears when linuxrc is supposed to be executed. Further investigation shows that the root FS is loaded in (ro), I am able to drop in ash if I use init=/static/ash (that's how I found out).

    This is my conclusion so far: initrd does not load the ramdisk the way it should before the kernel is loaded, therefore, later on, linuxrc is not executed as default. Linuxrc is not (yet) the init proces, the init is executed later as /etc/init after the image is mounted. I don't have an ash compatability problem (the kernel can start it, internal commands like mount work), so my guess is I don't need to recompile it. It looks like I start off with the wrong root filesystem.

    This is the procedure I used to recompile the kernel:
    dpkg -i kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs_10.00.Custom_all.deb (from Klaus Knopper)
    make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image modules
    dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.22-xfs_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
    here I get the following error:
    /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: Cannot determine root device
    Failed to create initrd image

    After this I remastered boot.img with the new kernel and cloop and used boot.img to boot the system.

    (P.s. i also tried "make-kpkg kernel_image" to no avail, I also downloaded the kernel sources, applied the knoppix patch and I invested lots and lots of time, but I end up with the same problem all over)

    Does anyone have a clue?

    regards,
    Robert

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3

    kernel & initrd

    If you're loading ash, then the initrd must be mounting properly, because that's the only place I recall ever seeing a /static/ directory.

    My hunch is that your cloop.o isn't playing nicely with the new kernel, probably because it's complaining about a version mismatch. Since your kernel module dpkg -i is failing, That's what I'd suspect.

    I'd go poking in the linuxrc, looking for 1) any lines that tell the kernel not to output error messages (so you can comment them out and see more of what's happening, and 2) the actual cloop command line that the linuxrc formulates. if you can start ash, then issue that command directly to the ash shell, the error message should prove enlightening.

    Also man mkinitrd, and see if you can't reconfigure /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf so that you can install those modules correctly.

    What directory did you draw the cloop.o module from to put it into the new miniroot.gz? Usually, when you recompile a modules package, it creates a whole new directory in /lib/modules/ that corresponds with the kernel version. Make sure you're pulling the cloop.o from the new modules dir, and not the old one.

Similar Threads

  1. Remastering and recompiling kernel knoppix 3.4
    By fester in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 04:15 AM
  2. Newbie: Source / Kernel recompiling ?
    By quantum-x in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 02:37 AM
  3. recompiling knoppix kernel
    By nishtya in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 04:53 AM
  4. Problems with custom kernel: "/linuxrc: cannot create..
    By mkg in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 01:02 AM
  5. kernel panic with custom kernel
    By cYmen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 10:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle picture

Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle

$49.99



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed picture

Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed

$125.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts

$71.95



Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested picture

Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested

$210.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00