Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Wifi on Thinkpad T30 - Live CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3

    Wifi on Thinkpad T30 - Live CD

    I am trying to get the built-in Wifi running on an IBM T30 laptop. I'm using the Live CD version 3.3 and am hoping to avoid a HDD install. This is a company owned machine and my principal use for Knoppix is to use the machine for personal reasons (which are permitted anyway, but I am just a paranoid type).

    The wireless chip is a Cicso 350. It does not autodetect but I can successfully modprobe either the AIRO or ORINOCO modules. The driver loads and I can see it (UNUSED) with LSMOD.

    But IWCONFIG and IFCONFIG do not return the interface. I *think* all I need is to modify MODULES.CONF and/or create a new interface file. But again, I am running from the CD and can't modify system files.

    I suspect that this is either not possible or very simple and I am overlooking something fairly simple. I don't mind at all doing some manual steps or invoking a script from the HDD (or better, USB memory key) every time I boot.

    Thanks in advance for your ideas!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    17

    More info

    I'm assuming the wirless device is a PCMCIA card? Type dmesg after inserting the card and see what it says. The last lines will tell you what the system did when you inserted the card. Will help in troubleshooting....

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    Um, no it is mini-PCI (built-in) which I neglected to mention. There are no messages in DMESG regarding the wireless card after inital booting. If I "modprobe airo", I get:

    airo: Probing for PCI adapters
    airo: Finished probing for PCI adapters

    from DMESG. If I "modprobe orinooco", I get:

    orinonco.c 0.13e (David Gibson <snipping email information>)

    No error messages in either case. LSMOD shows:

    airo 42744 0 (unused)

    and something similar for the orinoco.

    I believe that the driver is loading OK, but that I am lacking an alias reference to it. I am wondering if there is a way to add this post boot, either manually each time or via a script.

    Thanks for the help!

Similar Threads

  1. boot on ibm thinkpad t20
    By yumax in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 06:43 AM
  2. WiFi which cards work best with Knoppix Live CD?
    By Kumagoro in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 04:48 AM
  3. need help with Thinkpad 240x
    By angoyal in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 01:59 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 09:34 AM
  5. APM on ThinkPad A31
    By niki2002 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 01:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM picture

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM

$286.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



64GB Kit (4x16GB) - 16GB DDR-4 3200AA MHz UDIMM Samsung M378A2G43AB3-CWE Tested picture

64GB Kit (4x16GB) - 16GB DDR-4 3200AA MHz UDIMM Samsung M378A2G43AB3-CWE Tested

$255.00



Samsung M393A2K43DB3 16GB (1x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz M393A2K43DB3 picture

Samsung M393A2K43DB3 16GB (1x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz M393A2K43DB3

$89.99



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



Team Group T-Force Vulcan 32GB (2x16GB) TLZGD416G3200HC16FBK - Tested picture

Team Group T-Force Vulcan 32GB (2x16GB) TLZGD416G3200HC16FBK - Tested

$149.95