Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How do you disable APM after a Knoppix hd install?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    How do you disable APM after a Knoppix hd install?

    Subject pretty much says it all.

    I have knx-hdinstall 'ed Knoppix v3.3 onto my hard drive, and even though I disable apm, and any other "laptop" type shutdowns from within the BIOS, as soon as Debian/Knoppix begins to boot off the hard drive, I can see it saying: "APM disabled in BIOS, re-enabling..."

    The problem I am having is, no matter what I change, in any settings, or configs, after "who knows how long" of minutes, my screen goes BLACK for a few seconds, and then comes back to its original. It appears that whatever is causing this to happen, still keeps the system up and running, if I click on something, just before this happens, after the screen comes back, the "something" is either being started, has started, or possibly even completed, during this BLACK OUT...

    My assumptions have me thinking it has something to do with Power Management, and I HATE power management - If I cared how many "milliwatts" I could save by shutting down my monitor, or spinning down my hard drives, when "something" thinks I don't need them anymore, I might have a few pennies saved. But I don't care - when I have something ON, it should stay ON - If I want it OFF, I will turn it OFF. If I was running on a laptop, I would care about conservating energy, but I'm connected to a POWER PLANT, with a 90 minute UPS atop of that, "I don't need no stinkin' energy conservation" [giggle]

    Someone have the answer? Who can be first to post to this simple question? [the clock is ticking]
    Cuddles

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You could try adding noapm to the append line in lilo.conf

    Don't forget to run lilo afterwards!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Ok Markus, you get the prize for having a response in 10 minutes...

    Here, I think, is the line you want me to change - it doesn't "read" the way I thought changing it would be though - (see)

    append="hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

    Do I yank out the apm=power-off and replace it with noapm -=- or would it be apm=no -=- or apm-noapm ...

    Thanks in advance...
    Cuddles
    PS - and HOW DO YOU ensure running LILO ? reboot????

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Do I yank out the apm=power-off and replace it with noapm
    That's what I'd do, but I've got your current version in my lilo.conf so can't say for sure.
    PS - and HOW DO YOU ensure running LILO ? reboot????
    NO- Run lilo by typing "lilo" or "/sbin/lilo" as root and be sure it says things like "added linux".
    If you don't run lilo this way after changing the configuration, your machine might not boot.

    PS: You could want to have a bootdisk at hand when playing with lilo, or a Knoppix Live-CD

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Thanks Markus - did the lilo.conf change, did the root lilo command, did say "Adding Linux...", and did the reboot - everything is perfect.

    Thanks a million - hopefully this resolves my BLANK/BLACK screen issue...
    Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. disable automatic Knoppix user
    By hcdunlap in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 03:50 AM
  2. Correct way to disable DMA in knoppix 3.6 ??
    By metavoid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 09:43 AM
  3. how can i disable ramdisk creation after hdd install?
    By ckassab in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 03:24 AM
  4. Disable Etherboot
    By MaTh2k in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 10:28 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 02:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" (WDS500G2B0A) SSD

$43.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$41.99



128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia picture

128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia

$16.59



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5

Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD V-NAND MZ-77E500

$85.00



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60