Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I am guessing this is bad....

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    20

    I am guessing this is bad....

    Well, I did an HD install last week using a disk that was downloaded from about 10 sources (I have read that that is BAD :P). It seems to work fine, but there are certain things like how the control panel cant access the kernel at all that make me believe that it is screwed up in some way.

    Question is, when I get a CD from one source (I will make sure to do this when I switch to Gentoo this summer), can I just install it over my current copy, or should I reformat and start over?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95
    Just insert the cd in your cdrom drive, boot from there and enter knoppix testcd at the boot prompt; this will tell you whether the cd was correctly downloaded and burned! BTW, the KDE control panel looks for the kernel source in /usr/src/linux and since it's not installed by default it gives you an error; nothing to worry about!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by EmDee
    Just insert the cd in your cdrom drive, boot from there and enter knoppix testcd at the boot prompt; this will tell you whether the cd was correctly downloaded and burned! BTW, the KDE control panel looks for the kernel source in /usr/src/linux and since it's not installed by default it gives you an error; nothing to worry about!
    Should have known :P
    Thanks for the help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$84.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Toshiba 1TB 2.5

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive

$51.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" Enterprise SATA 7200RPM Internal HDD HUS724020ALA640

$54.99



Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket picture

Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket

$249.99



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00