Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Static IPs?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    Static IPs?

    OK, I have a file server setup in my class room to run a little intranet server so my students can login to it remotely using kdm and they can save and print their work. I'm running all this over a pre-existing DHCP server at school. All this is working great using knoppix-installer as debian on all the PCs in the classroom! Thanx Klauss!

    Anyway, here's my problem. I'd like to have access to this server from home without messing things up for my students. If I setup a static IP on this server so I can ssh from home, will my students still be able to login remotely using X -query newIP :1 or even X broadcast :1 as they do now using knoppix 2 from a liveCD or vt2 from a hdinstall?

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    you should. How do you have it set up? (that isn't part of my answer but rather I'm just interested.) SSH shouldn't make any difference to your students at all

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, here's my setup. You could skim the whole post to see what a saga I went thru and then how it finally worked or just skip the end where I list the steps that worked in XMas colors as it was around that time that I finally got it working.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5668

    Enjoy!

    Regards,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I'm concerned that what happned to me when I tried LTSP dosen't happen again. I tried setting up terminal servers in my classroom and nobody could find the server as the DHCP server conflicted with the LTSP server....

    If I now switch my server from the DHCP server to a static ip I can access from home, I hope my students' workstations can still log into it!

    TIA,

Similar Threads

  1. Static IP & Name Resolution
    By Leguleius in forum Networking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 12:26 AM
  2. remaster with static ip and ssh
    By stormspotter in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 01:43 AM
  3. Static IP Help
    By hoy_128 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2004, 03:37 AM
  4. static DNS problem !
    By Atte in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 05:12 PM
  5. Static IP is not static!
    By beecee in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



1U Server Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5Ghz 4C 32GB RAM 2x M.2 2280 OCP RJ45 Rails picture

1U Server Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5Ghz 4C 32GB RAM 2x M.2 2280 OCP RJ45 Rails

$310.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99