you should. How do you have it set up? (that isn't part of my answer but rather I'm just interested.) SSH shouldn't make any difference to your students at all
OK, I have a file server setup in my class room to run a little intranet server so my students can login to it remotely using kdm and they can save and print their work. I'm running all this over a pre-existing DHCP server at school. All this is working great using knoppix-installer as debian on all the PCs in the classroom! Thanx Klauss!
Anyway, here's my problem. I'd like to have access to this server from home without messing things up for my students. If I setup a static IP on this server so I can ssh from home, will my students still be able to login remotely using X -query newIP :1 or even X broadcast :1 as they do now using knoppix 2 from a liveCD or vt2 from a hdinstall?
TIA,
AJG
you should. How do you have it set up? (that isn't part of my answer but rather I'm just interested.) SSH shouldn't make any difference to your students at all
OK, here's my setup. You could skim the whole post to see what a saga I went thru and then how it finally worked or just skip the end where I list the steps that worked in XMas colors as it was around that time that I finally got it working.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5668
Enjoy!
Regards,
AJG
I'm concerned that what happned to me when I tried LTSP dosen't happen again. I tried setting up terminal servers in my classroom and nobody could find the server as the DHCP server conflicted with the LTSP server....
If I now switch my server from the DHCP server to a static ip I can access from home, I hope my students' workstations can still log into it!
TIA,

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Lot 43 Mixed Brands Micron MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1 8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 RAM
$649.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit
$199.99
Mixed Lot of 248 SAMSUNG 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 M393B1K70CH0-CH9Q5 Server RAM
$1999.99
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Pair Samsung 32GB (2x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-21300 DDR4-2666V REG ECC Server Memory Ram
$109.95
Micron 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA-ED2-11 ECC MTA9ASF2G72AZ-3G2B1ZI
$299.99
G. SKILL 32GB UDIMM 2400 MHz PC4-19200 DDR4 SDRAM Memory (F42400C15Q32GRK)
$150.00
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00