Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Install Problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3

    Install Problem

    I have beeen trying to install Knoppix on my Hard drive. I allocated about 3.8 GB partition for Knoppix and 580MB for swap. There was no problem with the installation but when i rebooted the computer it didn't allow me to login.

    After reboot it shows the login screen. When I give my login name and the pswd, the screen blinks once and then show me the same window. However when i tried to login using command prompt I could access to all the directories. Obviously it is not that comfortable to work on non-graphic mode. I just can't imagine what went wrong.

    Please help me to figureout the problem.

    Thank you in advance.

    NoviceW

  2. #2
    Are you using a foreign keyboard ? and if so does your password contain letters that would otherwise replaced (like q and a for azerty keyboard), try typing your password in the login box to check (knoppix install doesn't always seem to remember which keyboard you set, and shell and x keyboards can be set seperatly)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3

    can it be the case?

    Hi Koopa Troopa,

    Idon't think that's the problem. If that's the case it wouldn't allow me to login with Non Graphical mode too. As I said I could access to all the directories if i log in with non graphical mode. I don't have any charactors like y and z in my pswd either.

    NoviceW

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Install Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by NoviceW
    I have beeen trying to install Knoppix on my Hard drive. I allocated about 3.8 GB partition for Knoppix and 580MB for swap. There was no problem with the installation but when i rebooted the computer it didn't allow me to login.

    After reboot it shows the login screen. When I give my login name and the pswd, the screen blinks once and then show me the same window. However when i tried to login using command prompt I could access to all the directories. Obviously it is not that comfortable to work on non-graphic mode. I just can't imagine what went wrong.

    Please help me to figureout the problem.

    Thank you in advance.

    NoviceW
    Have you tried selecting KDE3 from the list when you login instead of default for the session type? And check in the file /home/user_name/.wmrc and make sure it contains the line "kde3".

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    6
    did u try loging in as "root" ?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8
    i'm having this same problem and i tried logging in as root and it doesn't work. i'm not sure about the keys or anything.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    I've had this problem on every machine I've used Knoppix CD to boot, run the script knx-hdinstall, and then boot up from the HD.

    The trap I keep falling into [on new machines] is that the kdm's login screen
    has "default" or "previous" selected by default. Since I've never logged in with that username, it doesn't have a valid previous session. I will type a good username and correct password, click Go, Xwindows will blink and I am returned to the login screen like I've mistyped something.

    Since I've been building up several machines, it is easy to forget that you are on new machine and for each new account, "default" X Windows session is really selecting nothing.

    Selecting a "kde3" explicidly is a habit I need to pickup.


Similar Threads

  1. hdd install problem - please help
    By vgramanathan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 03:17 PM
  2. Yet ANOTHER HDD install problem
    By Droid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 08:09 AM
  3. Problem with HDD install
    By gravity in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 04:32 PM
  4. Another HD install problem
    By foraker_p in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 12:54 AM
  5. usb problem on hd install
    By gilljohn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 02:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



HPE P22139-B21 Synergy 480 Gen10 Plus Base Blade Chassis w/ P27543-001 picture

HPE P22139-B21 Synergy 480 Gen10 Plus Base Blade Chassis w/ P27543-001

$349.95



LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5  2x6248R  24 core 3.0G   24x64g DDR4-2933 ram picture

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram

$112000.00



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08