-
Knoppix as webserver
When I try apache start (under etc\init.d) I get an error:
host valid name not found in ServerName. How do I fix this ? How can I edit a config file like hosts ?
thanks
Rubens
-
Here's what I did:
Delete the symbolic links /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname
copy the same files back from /KNOPPIX/etc/hostname and KNOPPIX/etc/host
Edit the files to define the appropriate new names, and then run the command:
hostname your_new_hostname
Lars.
-
what about changing properties of files ?
Tak Lars !
I try what you said but I cannot save the edited files or even delete them. How can I change the properties of the config files so I could change them ?
Rubens
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: what about changing properties of files ?
--You *are* doing this as Root, aren't you?

Originally Posted by
rubis
Tak Lars !
I try what you said but I cannot save the edited files or even delete them. How can I change the properties of the config files so I could change them ?
Rubens
-
logging as root...
As the login is automatic, I think I was logged as root ! !!!
How do I login as root ? Using su- ? What's the password ?
rubens
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: logging as root...
--You would do well to browse the historical posts on this board and on http://www.linuxtag.org/cgi-bin/yabb...ard=knoppix-en before asking such a question, but here we go again...
Just hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and you will be at one of (4) Root prompts. F1 thru F4. Alt-F5 (or is it F7?) gets you back to the GUI.
--Just as There Is No Spoon, there is no root password.
--You would also do well to learn the SEVERE DANGERS INVOLVED
when you try running everything as root. This is why we have USER accounts. Otherwise you make it EASY for your system to get cracked.

Originally Posted by
Anonymous
As the login is automatic, I think I was logged as root ! !!!
How do I login as root ? Using su- ? What's the password ?
rubens
-
ok !!!
OK! It works now ! Thanks !
I also found an easy way:
There is an option in the KDE menu for "Browse files as Root"or something like this, in system. From there you can delete and edit very easy the files.
After that just put your html page in var/www/ . and call apache.
In 5 minutes (including boot) you can put a webserver "on air" :>)
Another question now is : How do I enter as root if I start Knoppix in only text mode ?
-
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Anonymous
--If you boot Knoppix into text mode from the CD, you are already at a Root prompt, and still have Ctrl-Alt-F1 thru F4. But if you need to get a root prompt from KDE, start a Konsole or other (such as rxvt) shell, and type ' sudo bash '.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: logging as root...
[quote="Dave_Bechtel
Just hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and you will be at one of (4) Root prompts. F1 thru F4. Alt-F5 (or is it F7?) gets you back to the GUI.
[/quote]
DO NOT tell people to hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 again!
I could not get back to the GUI after that, and I had to finally shut down manually by doing the shutdown -r now thing.
F1-F4, Alt-F5 (or F7) would not work.
so I repeat DO NOT TELL SOMEONE TO DO THAT AGAIN!
thank you.
and to answer your question,
you don't need to use sudo
just type su at a command terminal and you'll be at root
knoppix logs on as user knoppix (even though it askes you what username and password you want, it still uses the default knoppix anyways) so just type su to get to a root prompt, thats it.
or su [username] to switch users
Similar Threads
-
By dave_sussex in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 02:07 PM
-
By tazzi in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-26-2004, 12:29 AM
-
By wildcat in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-24-2003, 02:27 AM
-
By Jampa in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-14-2003, 11:48 AM
-
By TheSovereign in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2003, 12:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99

W&T 50519 Pure.box 3 USB Linux Thin Client Industrial PC Embedded Server
$135.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99

Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+
$13.99

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00