-
Well I finally got this to work. In case anyone is trying to do the same thing.
The main problem is that although I could make a new user and set the
permissions to root, sudo, etc. the Knoppix menu did no recognize any user
not named knoppix. So when I tried to save configs through that menu it just
hung or failed.
1. I logged in as knoppix 2 myconfig. blah blah
This way I started the session through KDM which gave me the option to
logout and log back in without killing the session or rebooting.
2. I copied the entire /home/knoppix dir to /home/sunnyb recursed.
cp -R /home/knoppix /home/sunnyb just as Bamarob said.
3. I chown'd the entire dir to sunnyb
chown -R sunnyb /home/sunnyb
4. I logged out as knoppix and logged back in as sunnyb.
This is where the Knoppix menu did not let me use the save configs.
I had to GKsu the saveconfig command and mkpersistenthome command
to save the configs and a persistent home dir.
5. Now I was able to log in with the knoppix 2 myconfig= blah blah
command and at the root prompt I used KDM which gives me the option
of logging in as knoppix, sunnyb or root.
This may be as close as I can get without remastering / making a live CD
from the session but it works and now my local network recognizes
the machine because I am logged in as sunnyb. Now I just have to change
the paths in all of the shell scrips again and it will be OK.
Thanks all.
Similar Threads
-
By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
-
By bizarro in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-17-2004, 01:29 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-04-2003, 05:47 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM
-
By true1ever in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$89.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$391.59

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 2.0 Flash Drive 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Thumb Memory Stick Multi Pack Bulk Lot
$1082.99

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL380/DL360 Gen9 (P89) P89_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99