Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Slow HDD Access w/ HDD Install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1

    Slow HDD Access w/ HDD Install

    I just installed Knoppix 3.3 to the HDD and I am now noticing extremely slow HDD access. Back when I just had it on the CD it was fine, I could open HDD windows in Konqueror quickly and such. But now when I tried to do anything having to do with the HDD, like click on one of the HDD icons on my desktop, hit the "Browse" button when I am trying to extract files with Ark or am looking for a place to download files to it takes a good 10 minutes or so for it to come up! This is rediculously unacceptable. If I browse through my HDD using the konsole (ya know, using cd and ls, etc) it goes very smoothly, but any graphical interaction with the HDD takes forever. Now I'm no Linux expert, I'm just using Knoppix to kinda dive into Linux and since I have a lot of extra HDD space I figured I'd just do a dual boot. Any help will be appreciated here, otherwise I will just format the Linux partition and go back to the CD (which I really don't want to do).

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Things to look at:

    Swap

    hdparm (IIRC some good stuff in this very forum by Stephen on this, try a search. Failing that, man hdparm or a google should give you access to a lot of tutorials on it).

    Wierd cabling and jumpering.

Similar Threads

  1. Internet fast on Live CD but SLOW on HD install
    By azucar151 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 11:46 AM
  2. vi starts slow as molasses after HD install
    By redss in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 09:48 PM
  3. HD install very slow to boot up?
    By diablo266 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 11:32 PM
  4. HDD Install. Why does the OS run so slow??? + other stuff
    By jbrush in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 01:10 PM
  5. RealPlayer is very slow after Knoppix re-install
    By joekm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 02:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD picture

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD

$149.99



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.99



Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB Wifi 8th/9th Geb 1151 Motherboard picture

Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB Wifi 8th/9th Geb 1151 Motherboard

$84.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45