Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Slow HDD Access w/ HDD Install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1

    Slow HDD Access w/ HDD Install

    I just installed Knoppix 3.3 to the HDD and I am now noticing extremely slow HDD access. Back when I just had it on the CD it was fine, I could open HDD windows in Konqueror quickly and such. But now when I tried to do anything having to do with the HDD, like click on one of the HDD icons on my desktop, hit the "Browse" button when I am trying to extract files with Ark or am looking for a place to download files to it takes a good 10 minutes or so for it to come up! This is rediculously unacceptable. If I browse through my HDD using the konsole (ya know, using cd and ls, etc) it goes very smoothly, but any graphical interaction with the HDD takes forever. Now I'm no Linux expert, I'm just using Knoppix to kinda dive into Linux and since I have a lot of extra HDD space I figured I'd just do a dual boot. Any help will be appreciated here, otherwise I will just format the Linux partition and go back to the CD (which I really don't want to do).

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Things to look at:

    Swap

    hdparm (IIRC some good stuff in this very forum by Stephen on this, try a search. Failing that, man hdparm or a google should give you access to a lot of tutorials on it).

    Wierd cabling and jumpering.

Similar Threads

  1. Internet fast on Live CD but SLOW on HD install
    By azucar151 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 11:46 AM
  2. vi starts slow as molasses after HD install
    By redss in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 09:48 PM
  3. HD install very slow to boot up?
    By diablo266 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 11:32 PM
  4. HDD Install. Why does the OS run so slow??? + other stuff
    By jbrush in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 01:10 PM
  5. RealPlayer is very slow after Knoppix re-install
    By joekm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 02:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED picture

ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED

$250.00



Atari 1050 Floppy Disk Drive Tested With All Cables Power And Data SIO Cable picture

Atari 1050 Floppy Disk Drive Tested With All Cables Power And Data SIO Cable

$170.00



VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works picture

VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works

$148.75



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



Vintage ATARI SF314 DS/DD 3.5

Vintage ATARI SF314 DS/DD 3.5" External Drive TESTED but can't read/write disks

$69.99



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



⭐️Atari RX8044 Joust Vintage Computer Game Cartridge⭐️Vintage 1983⭐️ picture

⭐️Atari RX8044 Joust Vintage Computer Game Cartridge⭐️Vintage 1983⭐️

$7.93



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 1050 Floppy Disk Drive Tested With All Cables Power And Data SIO In Box picture

Atari 1050 Floppy Disk Drive Tested With All Cables Power And Data SIO In Box

$200.00