Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Slow HDD Access w/ HDD Install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1

    Slow HDD Access w/ HDD Install

    I just installed Knoppix 3.3 to the HDD and I am now noticing extremely slow HDD access. Back when I just had it on the CD it was fine, I could open HDD windows in Konqueror quickly and such. But now when I tried to do anything having to do with the HDD, like click on one of the HDD icons on my desktop, hit the "Browse" button when I am trying to extract files with Ark or am looking for a place to download files to it takes a good 10 minutes or so for it to come up! This is rediculously unacceptable. If I browse through my HDD using the konsole (ya know, using cd and ls, etc) it goes very smoothly, but any graphical interaction with the HDD takes forever. Now I'm no Linux expert, I'm just using Knoppix to kinda dive into Linux and since I have a lot of extra HDD space I figured I'd just do a dual boot. Any help will be appreciated here, otherwise I will just format the Linux partition and go back to the CD (which I really don't want to do).

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Things to look at:

    Swap

    hdparm (IIRC some good stuff in this very forum by Stephen on this, try a search. Failing that, man hdparm or a google should give you access to a lot of tutorials on it).

    Wierd cabling and jumpering.

Similar Threads

  1. Internet fast on Live CD but SLOW on HD install
    By azucar151 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 11:46 AM
  2. vi starts slow as molasses after HD install
    By redss in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 09:48 PM
  3. HD install very slow to boot up?
    By diablo266 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 11:32 PM
  4. HDD Install. Why does the OS run so slow??? + other stuff
    By jbrush in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 01:10 PM
  5. RealPlayer is very slow after Knoppix re-install
    By joekm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 02:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM POWER8 8286-42A S824 8-Core 128GB RAM 4.8TB SAS Fedora Linux Server PowerVM picture

IBM POWER8 8286-42A S824 8-Core 128GB RAM 4.8TB SAS Fedora Linux Server PowerVM

$750.00



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



IBM Power S922 9009-22A Power9 DDR4 10GbE 6X SFF Barebone Server picture

IBM Power S922 9009-22A Power9 DDR4 10GbE 6X SFF Barebone Server

$999.95



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD picture

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD

$87.96



IBM QRadar xx29 M4 2x Xeon E5-2670 2.6GHz 16-Cores | 64gb | M5120 RAID picture

IBM QRadar xx29 M4 2x Xeon E5-2670 2.6GHz 16-Cores | 64gb | M5120 RAID

$349.99