Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Saving files to HD from live CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10

    Saving files to HD from live CD

    Ok I'm having troulbe saving files to my hard drive.
    Everything is auto mounted so I can read all files from
    my windows partion (which is all I have), but I cant save anything. I know it can be done because I did it with PHLAK. I tried to save on my USB drive and that also doesnt work. I tried to open up the applications as "root" also.
    That doesnt work.
    I'm trying to save text files.
    In Kword it will say

    "Could not save /mnt/sda1/director/test.kwd"
    "Reason couldnt' open the file for saving"

    In OpenOffice I type
    test
    then choose File ->Save As
    then I choose the directory to save at
    then I type test as the file name
    and I use .doc format
    I get the error:
    "Error saving the document Untitled1:
    /mnt/hda1/test.doc
    does not exist.

    Please Help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    To save stuff you need write access to the drives: it looks like you only have read access.

    IIRC, there's a tool to allow write access somewhere on the menu. Don't try this if you have ntfs (default with Win NT, 2K, XP) or you'll trash the filesystem big style!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10
    I'm sorry what does IIRC mean? I still dont know all the terms.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by millennia
    I'm sorry what does IIRC mean? I still dont know all the terms.
    Tip of the Day.
    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen$ dict IIRC
    3 definitions found
    
    From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (19 Sep 2003) [foldoc]:
    
      IIRC
    
         <chat> If I recall/remember correctly.
    
         (1996-11-28)
    
    
    From Jargon File (4.4.4, 14 Aug 2003) [jargon]:
    
      IIRC //
    
         Common abbreviation for "If I Recall Correctly".
    
    
    From V.E.R.A. -- Virtual Entity of Relevant Acronyms (December 2003) [vera]:
    
      IIRC
             If I Remember/Recall Correctly (Usenet, IRC, slang)
    Which you can use running from the CD and if the file system on the windows drive is ntfs then you cannot save a file to it unless you have a version that has the captive-ntfs driver.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1
    I'm a knoppix newb having the same problem. I created a new persistant home on a usd drive, config is saved on no prob but text file are not retained on a reboot. Thanks for any help

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10
    Which you can use running from the CD and if the file system on the windows drive is ntfs then you cannot save a file to it unless you have a version that has the captive-ntfs driver.
    I can save things with PHLAK to my hard drive (I'm using XP Pro) so does that means that PHLAX has captive-ntfs driver and Knoppix/Gnoppix doesnt?

    How about saving things to my FLASH USB Thumb drive? Can I do that?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10
    Also look what I found
    Knoppix comes with extensive hardware detection, supports writing persistent data on USB memory and can be used for data recovery as well as for Linux classes in schools or at LUG gatherings....You might ask, what is the power in doing real work that you can't save? Between the `live CD', and the `install it to disk' usage methods there is a third way. Using a USB pocket drive, or other removable media you can hit-and-run anyone's machine, doing real work all while using your in-hand defaults, but more importantly storing your new work. These tripod benefits is why one individual wouldn't let another recycle peacefully. But---I understand. ---Source http://www.nylug.org/meetings/index.shtml?20040100
    So how can I save my documents on my jump drive?

Similar Threads

  1. Saving files to hard Drive
    By Jseegs in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 09:24 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 02:16 AM
  3. Saving Files to floppy disk
    By kepler in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 10:29 AM
  4. saving my files - i need help
    By lostwishes in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:43 AM
  5. saving files?
    By attenuation123 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2003, 01:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM picture

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM

$17.99



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$549.99



Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro picture

Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro

$179.99



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718 picture

Genuine OEM 61W USB-C Power Adapter Charger For Apple MacBook PRO 13 inch A1718

$22.00



Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D picture

Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D

$339.99



Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter picture

Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter

$34.99