If an ftp server is running on the knoppix box you should be able to ftp into the knoppix box as a user and put files into the users home directory. Then move the files into /var/www (as root) or wherever you need them.
HTH
~rock
I have Knoppix 3.2 installed on HD and am trying to connect either way between KnoppixBox and a Mac running OSX.3
My main goal is to be able to edit a website on the Apache Server on the Knoppix box, uploading files from my Mac.
Loading Knoppix was a breeze. Apache no prob, I have a Swiki running, but no luck with any type of NFS connection to the KnoppixBox. I installed Proftpd but can't write to any files even if connected. I've checked and set permissions. I've played around with the SAMBA.conf file and have been able to see the directory I wanted to mount but then denied access.(now I just get an error mssg -36 saying data can't be read)
I'm a newbie and have no clue why it isn't working. I've scoured Google but am getting nowhere. It seems that NFS and FTP are basic services a Linux box should supply and I can't believe I'm having so much difficulty. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
SJG
If an ftp server is running on the knoppix box you should be able to ftp into the knoppix box as a user and put files into the users home directory. Then move the files into /var/www (as root) or wherever you need them.
HTH
~rock
Are you running the ftp server as a daemon or are you expecting inetd to start it whenever you connect ? In the latter case you need to edit /etc/inetd.conf (and maybe restart inetd)
Unencrypted services like nfs and ftp are not considered secure anymore (well, ftp is ok for anonymous access) so they are disabled by default. For what you want to do I would recommend using ssh instead though.
Thanks for the responses.
What is the process to use ssh? How do I get that configured on my server to allow access to files?
Thanks again.
IIRC the ssh server should be running already if you haven't disabled it, to check do this:Originally Posted by SJG
If nothing shows up you need to start it:Code:ps auxwww | grep sshd | grep -v grep
(as root of course)Code:/etc/init.d/ssh
To make that permanent one would do something like this:
Use scp to copy things from one machine to the other and ssh to get a console on the other machine. A reasonable place to start would be to read the man pages:Code:ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc0.d/K20ssh ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc2.d/S20ssh ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc3.d/S20ssh ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc4.d/S20ssh ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc5.d/S20ssh ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc6.d/K20ssh
andCode:man ssh
Code:man scp
Wow, SSH works like a charm. Who'd a thought to read the manual, lol.
Thanks for your help.
Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
To do it properly with the Debian method you would either update-rc.d ssh defaults or update-rc.d ssh start 20 2 3 4 5 . stop 20 0 1 6 . as root and it will create the proper links for you.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 3TB HDD
$799.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech
$747.99