-
SPEAK FREELY ON KNOPPIX-HELP REQUEST
I am novice to Knoppix,migrating from M$ w2000 pro
I use very frequently SPEAK FREELY (http://speak-freely.sourceforge.net/)
for private coversations over internet thanx to the very strong encryption that it offers,but unfortunatelly i was unable till now to run either the .deb or the .rpm packages on a cd booted Knoppix system.
Please Someone more expert can tell me the exact passes that i must follow in order to get it work?
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
magicavis,
Lets see if I can help you out here,
From what I know, considering you said you are running Knoppix from the CD, I don't think you can install new packages. The CD can not be written to, its a "locked" operating system, if you are only using the Knoppix CD.
If I can put this into Windows terminology, for you, it would be like running Windows, any version, with a hard drive that can't be written to. Windows installs many files, for any program, into the programs folders/directories, the Windows folders/directories, and even into the System folders/directories - you can't install a program in Windows if you can't write to the disk, right?
I am not an expert, no way, don't call me Ms. Linux Guru, I don't want the title, so, I am sure others may have other ways to "get around" this hitch, or, if you are lucky, maybe a "like" program already exists within the Knoppix CD already, I don't know.
But, as far as I have heard, you can't install new packages, or programs, if you run Knoppix on a closed system (write locked). Other options, that I know of, are, install it, the operating system that is, onto your system. Do a complete Knoppix CD install, thus, this opens up the avenue of being able to install the packages you speak of.
Just my thoughts on the subject,
Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By Schopenhauer101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-16-2005, 05:41 AM
-
By fischer1000 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-10-2004, 06:42 PM
-
By karthik in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-27-2004, 09:45 PM
-
By Chris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2003, 01:30 AM
-
By Rixel in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-17-2002, 09:45 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++
$169.00

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X
$180.00

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle
$49.99

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2
$109.99

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99