Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: SPEAK FREELY ON KNOPPIX-HELP REQUEST

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    3

    SPEAK FREELY ON KNOPPIX-HELP REQUEST

    I am novice to Knoppix,migrating from M$ w2000 pro
    I use very frequently SPEAK FREELY (http://speak-freely.sourceforge.net/)
    for private coversations over internet thanx to the very strong encryption that it offers,but unfortunatelly i was unable till now to run either the .deb or the .rpm packages on a cd booted Knoppix system.
    Please Someone more expert can tell me the exact passes that i must follow in order to get it work?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    magicavis,

    Lets see if I can help you out here,

    From what I know, considering you said you are running Knoppix from the CD, I don't think you can install new packages. The CD can not be written to, its a "locked" operating system, if you are only using the Knoppix CD.

    If I can put this into Windows terminology, for you, it would be like running Windows, any version, with a hard drive that can't be written to. Windows installs many files, for any program, into the programs folders/directories, the Windows folders/directories, and even into the System folders/directories - you can't install a program in Windows if you can't write to the disk, right?

    I am not an expert, no way, don't call me Ms. Linux Guru, I don't want the title, so, I am sure others may have other ways to "get around" this hitch, or, if you are lucky, maybe a "like" program already exists within the Knoppix CD already, I don't know.

    But, as far as I have heard, you can't install new packages, or programs, if you run Knoppix on a closed system (write locked). Other options, that I know of, are, install it, the operating system that is, onto your system. Do a complete Knoppix CD install, thus, this opens up the avenue of being able to install the packages you speak of.

    Just my thoughts on the subject,
    Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. My system do not speak english anymore but german!
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 05:41 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 06:42 PM
  3. a humble request - knoppix.org website .
    By karthik in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 09:45 PM
  4. german logins... i speak english, help
    By Chris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2003, 01:30 AM
  5. Mom and Pop Knoppix request.
    By Rixel in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2002, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99