Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: I Need help partitioning!

  1. #1

    I Need help partitioning!

    If Windows XP currently takes up my entire drive space, do I need to re-install it if I want it smaller, so there is room after it for another partition? What I have tried so far is using Qpart (or whatever the knoppix partition program is called) to 'resize' my C: drive. However, when I try this, it says drive is fragmented, despite the fact that I've defragmented it in windows... I'm stuck, and would really like to create a partition so I can get Knoppix on my system. Thanks for any help .

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Posts
    118
    I think you would have used the defragmenter which comes with Windows .If that is the case then most probably it will not do a complete job at defragmenting .Apart from that I believe that Microsoft write in the middle of the hard drive even though the hard drive is empty.
    So the only option I can think of is you might have to buy some other defragmenting tool and try your luck. Alot of defrag utilities are available online.
    A free open source defragmenter will be available from http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net
    The other option is backup ur data and repartition your hard drive and re-install XP and GNU/Linux.
    But in any case Pls make a back up of your data before doing anything.

    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Free Software , Free Speech , Free Society
    http://bhavesh.freeshell.org

Similar Threads

  1. Partitioning a HD
    By mimes in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 01:33 AM
  2. partitioning
    By goober in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 03:49 AM
  3. Partitioning?
    By Kowood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 08:08 PM
  4. Help with partitioning
    By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 02:09 AM
  5. partitioning
    By senorian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2003, 03:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10gbase-SR transceiver SFP+ (XVR-00001-02) picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10gbase-SR transceiver SFP+ (XVR-00001-02)

$9.00



New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01 picture

New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01

$84.99



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH    LOT OF 10 picture

HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH LOT OF 10

$70.00



CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED picture

CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED

$39.99